Home U.S. Coin Forum

An Interesting take by Wyatt Yeager (ANA Collections Manager) on what brings a coin "up to mark

An article entitled "Awash in Controversy" by Wyatt Yeager, the ANA Collections Manager, appears in the March issue of Numismatist. Mr. Yeager defines three different kinds of "numismatic conservation" -- archaelogic, numismatic, and curatorial -- and explains the steps that he took in conserving a 1923 Peace Dollar.

In this article, he writes: "Yes, I could take extra steps to bring the piece up to market standards, such as employing diluted nitric or hydrochloric acid and using a razor blade to outline and sharpen features, but why?" image I would have thought that this sentence misstated his thoughts on what takes a coin "up to market standards," except for the fact that he defines the goal of "numismatic" conservation as "achiev[ing] better highlights and definition before the coin enters the marketplace."

A lot of people define conservation much more broadly than I do. But I've never heard anyone else suggest that tooling will take a coin "up to market standards." image

Comments

• RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    using a razor blade to outline and sharpen features

Just whose market is he referring to?
    David McCarthy - Kagin's - IG: X_COINNERD_X

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Wow- that's not my market.....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often wondered where the term---needle sharp strike----came from.

What KIND of needle was the originator referring too?
    Have a nice day
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not (yet) read that article. But if Mr. Yeager really thinks that using a razor blade to "sharpen features" is numismatic conservation, he needs to be fired. Given that the ANA seems well willing and able to fire a huge percentage of people at their headquarters, I am surprised he still has a job.

Mark

P.S.: In truth, I hope that Mr. Yeager retains his job but with a huge amount of additional education.
    Mark

• IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    TTT for folks who take the weekend off.
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Shouldn't that online market standards? image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>using a razor blade to outline and sharpen features

Just whose market is he referring to? >>

I think he's refering to the eBay raw coin, no returns, all sales are final market. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I have not read the article yet. I will try to take a look at it soon.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>using a razor blade to outline and sharpen features >>

The major grading services would call this "TOOLING" and would body bag this coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

I have not (yet) read that article. But if Mr. Yeager really thinks that using a razor blade to "sharpen features" is numismatic conservation, he needs to be fired. Given that the ANA seems well willing and able to fire a huge percentage of people at their headquarters, I am surprised he still has a job.

An interesting coincidence.
  • jhusmanjhusman Posts: 1,082
    Maybe he is a hundred years old and likes to keep his collecting "old school".
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely Incredible. Maybe he can find his niche now, on ebay.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    Well, at least the article is aptly titled.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Don't know if this is old news or not:

Yeager pleads guilty to embezzlement.

Link

Look who the prosecutor is. "David Hall". David L. Hall, assistant united states attorney.

• << <i>Don't know if this is old news or not:

Link

Look who the prosecutor is. "David Hall". David L. Hall, assistant united states attorney. >>

Actually, it was theft -- not embezzlement.

This is not "old news", as the ANA has been unable to say anything until Mr. Yeager was back in the United States and pled guilty.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I wonder how many of the embezzled coins he made market ready with his ideas of "numismatic conservation"?

Dan
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't know if this is old news or not:

Link

Look who the prosecutor is. "David Hall". David L. Hall, assistant united states attorney. >>

OY!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Link

OY! >>

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Link

OY! >>

VEY!
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure would take steady hands and keen eyesight. Razor blading to sharpen features certainly wouldn't be for the faint of heart (unless it was a 1923 Peace dollar or a 1945-S Mercury dime...).

peacockcoins

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who hired this rocket scientist/goniff?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • and what was on his resume that got him hired?
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Considering the recent events..he's no longer up to engraving coins.He'll be engraving his cell soon..
    ......Larry........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file