Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Official 1978 Donruss KISS Thread (The Hottest Set In The World!)

Wow, what a tough set! I finally hit 75% but still have a lot of work and very few cards. When are you guys going to submit some of these? I am begging here!

EDITED NOTE: Since there appears to be some interest on these cards, I will go ahead and make this the "official" thread. I am going to post some scans of some cards from a box break I just did of the first series.

AGAIN, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR 78 DONRUSS KISS CARDS FOR MY SET!!!!

Comments

• Congrats Mefer!

You got any extras? I want to start building this set after getting my Elvis one done. I just picked up 35 PSA 9s for my Elvis through another collector and I can't wait to add them to my set! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Arnyvee, I have some extras. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    mefer,
    have you received your latest wax box yet? curious of the condition it yields?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    David, I have not received it yet. I am crossing my fingers it yields great cards. I am not holding my breath on it but a boy can dream. I have opened boxes that are just pure crap. Many cards from those boxes appear to have been cut from the sheets with a dull butter knife.

In the meantime, I have scanned my favorite card from the set. Mine is only an 8. I would love to hit a 10 on this card more than any other card:

All right you guys, submit those KISS cards now!
  • One of my faves from the set too Mefer!

That look in Gene's face is classic KISS!

By the way, I sent you a PM Mefer.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Last night I busted a box of 78 Donruss first series that I picked up on eBay. For what it is worth, the box yielded three complete set so the collation was good. As far as cards that are worth submitting, the box yielded about 20 that passed my initial inspection. Before I submit, I expect 5 or so will not make the final cut. So basically I paid $180.00 for 15 cards image The good thing though about this set is that it always sells well on eBay and is in high demand. I can recoup some of my investment by selling the extra sets. Here are the scans:

All in all, the box yielded the typical amount of rough cuts. Having fuzz on the cards is really the rule rather than the exception and PSA should consider that in grading these cards (like they do with O-Pee-Chee product). Terrible, terrible product control with Donruss back in 78 but I certainly did not care or notice back in 78 when I first bought the cards. I really thought, and actually still think, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread!!! image Enjoy!
  • Not too bad Mefer!

With the cards and the sets you can sell, you'll probably recoup the funds. Not sure about my Elvis ones though. But, we're only part of the way started on that rip. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Keep posting that rip Arny, very entertaining and good luck on that!
    Hello anyone out there? I may be just writing this to myself but, I just picked this up:

KISS Series 2 Box

Wish me luck on this one. I am hoping to pull some 10s. I yet have a 10 for my set and I don't think any series 2 cards have yet been graded a 10. Please post the thumb's up sign here to give me luck! I will report the rip when I get and open the box.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity, what do PSA 8 9 and 10's sell for on this set? I remember that they were horribly cut and low quality right out of the pack. Are there more people working on this set actively besides the few that have PSA sets?
    It seems like one that could really gain in popularity if more cards were graded...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    Gregmo--

The 78 Donruss KISS set always seems to sell really well in raw form on eBay. I have bought many raw sets in an effort to upgrade my graded set but have grown tired of doing that since the sellers of this set typically overgrade it. That is really not surprising considering most sellers seem to be those who sell KISS stuff and are not card collectors/dealers.

The graded market for the set does not seem to be in any type of demand which I believe is based upon the fact that almost all people who want this set are KISS fans and not card collectors. The average and typical KISS fan does not see the value of having a card graded. I have put 8s and 9s on eBay and not sold them (I believe I started them around 10 bucks or so). The only 10 I have seen sold on eBay, which I was outbid on, went for around 60 bucks as I recall. Last time I looked, there were only two 10s graded from this set. I have submitted a bunch and have yet to pull a 10.

You are right on the card stock. Terrible cuts and poor paper stock. For some reason, the series 2 cards seem a bit easier to find in better condition than series 1. The card stock seems to be just slightly different and perhaps Donruss by then sharpened their cutting blades!

If you have any raw 78 Donruss cards lying around, please submit them for grading. I would like to finish my set. I have the number one set and am at 75% complete. I would eventually like to have every card graded 9 or higher but that is going to be really tough.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    mefer,
    nice pickup on the series 2....how were the cards?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    Thanks David. I have not received the box yet. When I do, and do a rip, I will post results here. Thanks for the interest!
  • I'm watching with interest as well, can't wait to see how you do! Always wanted to do the same with M*A*S*H or the Welcome Back Kotter sets, love the non-sports stuff, haw haw!

PS
    Shame they didn't make a Grateful Dead set, I'd be all over that quick as could be.
  • bump.

Cool Gene Simmons card.
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Hey guys...

Figured I would share my Kiss stash with you...hope you don't mind me bumping an old topic...but I'd love to talk about these cards some more.

Here is my uncut sheet of the Donruss Kiss cards...I don't know of another one that exists...I've been looking for another one for years...as far as I know, it's the only one.

Check it out:

Wow, I am absolutely DROOLING over that uncut sheet. I have never seen that before. If you ever decide to sell, please let me know.

Looking the sheet over, that is very informative. I have already encountered a number of tough cards in the set. Case in point is card number one picturing Paul Stanley. That card is upper left corner on the sheet, and five rows below that, it appears again on the side. It is a very condition sensitive card and I have yet to find an example that is really eye appealing. I also note that a large number of the cards on the outer boarder are consistently found in "smaller" size right outside of the pack. They were trimmed smaller, it appears, to assure enough of the puzzle piece appeared on the adjoining cards (at least that is my unscientific conclusion). I have had a number of those cards come back to me as "failure to meet minimum size requirement" and in turn, woke up to reviewing those cards more carefully. The smoking Ace guitar card on the right seems to be a consistent candidate for failure to meet minimum size requirement.

Thanks again for sharing. I am truly amazed and blown away by seeing this.
  • I thought you might like to see it...I've had this thing for years...looked and looked for another one and I can't find one anywhere. I emailed Gene Simmons thru his website years ago and he doesn't even have one, and if you are a Kiss fan you know Gene has everything.

the sheet has 2 complete sets on it...just fyi.
    If you have more history on this, I would appreciate hearing about it (i.e., where you got it, etc.). Again, a fantastic piece!
  • Sure...like every good item it has a good story...lol.

I got it from a guy that worked at the factory they were produced in. They were also making the Elvis cards at the same time they were making the Kiss cards and the guy wanted to take an Elvis sheet home for his wife...he used the Kiss sheet to "protect" the Elvis sheet. The Elvis sheet got framed from what I understand, and the Kiss sheet was rolled up (luckily loosely rolled) and put in a round trashcan where it was stored in the back of his closet for years and pretty much forgotten about...I was talking to the guy about Mustangs and we ended up talking about Kiss stuff, the guy said he had the sheet and wanted to know if I wanted it...I said sure...he took it to a local frame shop and had them package it like a print, which is what I still have it stored in image and that was pretty much it....I asked him if he knew of any others, he told me that as far as he knows not another single one was saved by anyone and the proofs were destroyed once the cards were approved and finalized.

I have no way to prove any of this, other than having the sheet I showed you in the pics....but that's the story.
  • That uncut sheet is great !

A bit of an aside here ...

I have three extra KISS busts by McFarlane: One Color Gene Simmons, one Silver Gene Simmons and one Silver Paul Stanley.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]image[/URL][URL=http://imageshack.us]image[/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us]image[/URL]
    All three are new still in the box.

Feel free to PM me with reasonable offers.

cheers

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is one awesome piece there. I would like that hanging in my basement, though my wife would not!!image
  • smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭
    Guys, I have a PSA 9 #50 Gene Simmons card if anyone is interested. I will throw it on ebay if noone wants to make a reasonable offer.

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
    Mike, PM sent!

Matt
  • so any ideas on what I should do with this>? I need to figure out a way to store it long term...the box its in now scares me...i dont want to really get it framed? no way to get it graded that I know of....so...???? any ideas?
    Store it? I would display that puppy! If you are just going to store it, it would seem hard to beat the cardboard protection you have it in now. Rolling it up, of course, would take up less space but I would not recommend doing that in order not to damage or bend the piece. Alternatively, you could just sell it to me and be done with it. image
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I vote to sell it to Mefer! image

Also, do you have the information on whether that same factory worker still has the Elvis uncut sheet? image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • he said he had it framed for his wife so i'm guessing it got ruined during mounting as far as cards would go
    I just today had grades posted on a small 10 card KISS lot. I sent these under the current special and they were graded in a record six days! I am not sure how I got blessed on this one. Here are the grades:

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 15262731 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1978 DONRUSS KISS 31 KISS PAUL STANLEY Card US
    2 1 15262732 EXCELLENT 5 1978 DONRUSS KISS 67 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    3 1 15262733 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1978 DONRUSS KISS 71 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    4 1 15262734 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 DONRUSS KISS 71 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    5 1 15262735 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 DONRUSS KISS 75 KISS PETER, GENE, & ACE Card US
    6 1 15262736 GEM MINT 10 1978 DONRUSS KISS 84 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    7 1 15262737 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 DONRUSS KISS 84 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    8 1 15262738 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 DONRUSS KISS 97 KISS PETER CRISS Card US
    9 1 15262739 MINT 9 1978 DONRUSS KISS 104 KISS PAUL STANLEY Card US
    10 1 15262740 MINT 9 1978 DONRUSS KISS 104 KISS PAUL STANLEY Card US

The big one, of course, is the Gene-o (line 6). I will post a scan of that puppy when it comes back. It is my second ten from the set so I am pretty excited!
  • thats awesome man...congrats!
  • smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭
    Matt congrats! What happened on the 5's and 6's? 9's a and 10's tough to come by though. Great job.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
    I am not totally sure on the 5s and 6s. All of those cards looked to be at least 7 quality (I was shooting for 8s with those cards). With the balance of the grades, I really cannot complain. Pulling that 10 really made the submission. Those are stinking tough!
  • what promotion is going on that you were talking about? got a link?
    Mindbinge, if you last note is to me, I sent them under the $5.00 per card Collector's Club special. As almost anyone on the boards would say, most of the time you send cards in under this type of special you seem to wait 15 years for your cards to return. This was the quickest return I have ever had under such a special.
  • where can i find out about this collector club special or is it over with now 9would be my luck)...do you have a link or is it just existing members only?
    You have to be a member of PSA's Collector's Club and I believe it runs through the end of this month or May. If you are not a PSA member, that would be your first step to join. You can learn information about the Collector's Club, and grading specials, on the front page of the PSA website.
    I just got my recent submission of KISS cards back from PSA. Here is the PSA 10 Gene I just got back:

It is my second 10 in this very tough set. Interestingly enough, both of my 10s are from the more scarce second series.
  • nice! congrats!
  • Congrats on the PSA 10 card ..its a beauty !!! When I get my scanner hooked up I will post images of the two PSA 10's I was lucky enough to get..cards #103 and 127 also from the tougher 2nd series..........image
    Hey Hamp, it looks like we have found "Dr. Love!" Welcome aboard. You have a nice set you have put together. Is your set from a single set you had or multiple sets? These cards are tough; mine are from a number of different sets and boxes. I would be interested in learning more about your set. And, needless to say, should the Doctor ever decide to sell, I am your buyer! Cheers,

Matt
  • Nothing like owning the worse scanner on the planet.....but heres my two PSA 10 KISS cards and another toughie card #1.....Card #1 has always come back to me from PSA not meeting the minimun size requirements. I finally got this one back today in an 8.....
  • I have 9 unopened packs somewhere in my garage...lol...i'm going to open them up and see if i can find anything worth sending in for grading.
  • Hey Mefer...not sure if you saw these or not, figured you might be interested...I'm not bidding on these myself, but thought you might want to.

Rare Kiss Cards
    Interesting Mind. I have never seen those before. If you win, post scans of the KISS cards close up. I would like to see what they look like.

Great 10s Hamp, thanks for sharing! Do you have any duplicates you are looking to sell? I am always interested in buying what I need for my set.

Matt

• << <i>Interesting Mind. I have never seen those before. If you win, post scans of the KISS cards close up. I would like to see what they look like.

Great 10s Hamp, thanks for sharing! Do you have any duplicates you are looking to sell? I am always interested in buying what I need for my set.

Matt >>

I'm not bidding on them, just thought you might like to see them.
    Thanks Mind. RIF, "reading is fun." I am not very good at it. image To make up for it, how about you sell me that uncut sheet of yours? image
  • hahaha...well everything has it's price i suppose....but if you want the sheet you will need to go deep in the pocket to that corner where the lint dwells.....lol.
    I just had some more KISS cards graded and received a lightening fast four day turnaround time! Thanks PSA! The good news is that I pulled to 10s on the submission! The bad news is that it is of the same card and I can only use one 10 for my set. image Anyhow, here is the results:

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 14281977 NEAR MINT 7 1978 DONRUSS KISS 6 KISS PAUL STANLEY Card US
    2 1 14281978 MINT 9 1978 DONRUSS KISS 12 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    3 1 14281979 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 DONRUSS KISS 17 KISS PETER CRISS Card US
    4 1 14281980 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1978 DONRUSS KISS 21 KISS ACE FREHLEY Card US
    5 1 14281981 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 DONRUSS KISS 22 KISS ACE FREHLEY Card US
    6 1 14281982 NEAR MINT 7 1978 DONRUSS KISS 40 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    7 1 14281983 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 DONRUSS KISS 42 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    8 1 14281984 MINT 9 1978 DONRUSS KISS 64 KISS ACE FREHLEY Card US
    9 1 14281985 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 DONRUSS KISS 67 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    10 1 14281986 MINT 9 1978 DONRUSS KISS 71 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    11 1 14281987 MINT 9 1978 DONRUSS KISS 71 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    12 1 14281988 MINT 9 1978 DONRUSS KISS 71 KISS GENE SIMMONS Card US
    13 1 14281989 NEAR MINT 7 1978 DONRUSS KISS 98 KISS PETER CRISS Card US
    14 1 14281990 GEM MINT 10 1978 DONRUSS KISS 130 KISS PETER CRISS Card US
    15 1 14281991 MINT 9 1978 DONRUSS KISS 130 KISS PETER CRISS Card US
    16 1 14281992 GEM MINT 10 1978 DONRUSS KISS 130 KISS PETER CRISS Card US
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Dude you are selling your set or just extras??
  • I had most of this set back in the day, made up from many opened packs. I can still remember what those cards smelled like (that distinctive Donruss smell). Most of us were Kiss fans back then - I even saw the band live during the Dynasty era.

imageimageimageimageimage