Home U.S. Coin Forum

Have you ever considered collecting medals?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
My only active collection consists of modern medals. It's very lonely collecting these.

I'm thinking about expanding my area of interest to include true art medals from any country or period.

Have you ever considered collecting medals? What draws you to them or repels you from them?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'll collect most anything as long as it's copper. Medals are cool because they commonly have very high relief.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I am currently collecting so-called dollars and Columbian medals. If I find a cool medal from something else during my search, I don't mind adding it to the collection. I like the variety, the different metals, the different topics, etc. However, there are plenty that are just plain BORING!
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Yes, have bin doing so for awhile now . image

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just posted this 1625 copper medal the other day---so I guess my answer is yes.

Or maybe this bronze beauty from 1730
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Cool stuff!
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am currently collecting so-called dollars and Columbian medals. If I find a cool medal from something else during my search, I don't mind adding it to the collection. I like the variety, the different metals, the different topics, etc. However, there are plenty that are just plain BORING! >>

You are right about many of them being boring. Selectivity is key in putting a nice collection of medals together.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭
    I've been collecting Assay Commission medals for almost two years now. I became familiar with them while going through old Bowers and Merena auction catalogs while in high school. At the time they were too expensive for me, but I kind of thought that eventually I may get one. Later on after I had moved on to grad school, I purchased R W Julian's books on mint medals and assay medals, which reinforced my desire for these pieces. I also realized that I could probably afford to buy one at that time. Also while I grad school, I decided to form some sort of "collection" of exonumia, or an assortment of interesting non-coin pieces I found interesting for whatever reasons. Items such as Lesher dollars, Bryan money, Betts medals, Bolen tokens/copies, and of course an Assay Commission medal (with the cavaet being that I wanted something other than a 1977). Just one of each type, I wasn't planning on these being the beginnings of any new collections.

Anyway, looking at Chicago and Baltimore coin shows from 2000-2003 I found very few Assay medals (granted, I wasn't looking that hard) finding only a 1901 in silver with a bad scratch (I passed). There were a few at the 2003 ANA but offered as a group. "Bowers and Merena's" December 2003 sale had a good selection of them. I had decided that I would hold off on auctions until I finished grad school, so I only used this sale to get a bearing on the current "market" for ACM's. This also confirmed that I would be able to obtain one. Then, at the December 2004 Baltimore show, I was looking at some encased postage stamps at Steve Hayden's table when I decided to ask if he had any Assay medals. To my surprise he responded witrh a list of six dates, including 1870, 1890, 1909, and three others in the 20s-30s. Unfortunately at the time my only price guide to ACM's was in my head and thus not that good. I did know however that the 1870 (bronze) had the best design (to me) and should also be the most affordable. As it turns out, it was, and so I purchased it. Then, between the time of the show and when I took it to the safe deposit box, I looked at that medal a few times every day, holding it in my hand, admiring its surfaces and design, just being fully hypnotized by it. And I realized that this medal would not be alone, that I'd be collecting the series. And so since then I have done so.

Here are two examples. The first is a 1974 medal, in its original holder. This is probably the best design of the decade. The obverse is based on the Washington before Boston medal.

This is an 1885 medal in silver. The reported mintage (in Julian/Kreusch) is four in this metal. I know of at least two specimens, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were one to three more. (Yes, I do know what 2+3 is.) This specimen traces its way to Bowers and Merena's sale of the Richard Salisbury collection of 1994, and earlier still to their November 1989 sale, where this piece was included as a selection of exonumia formerly belonging to Virgil Brand. I got this at the last Long Beach show (not from the auction).
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, seriously. Infact I haven't completely ruled it out.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image This is an OLD picture of my cabinet:

My favorite theme:

Did someone say "high relief"?
    imageimage (I'm not sure which is the obverse and which is the reverse)

Plus a couple that I had pictures uploaded for already:

and

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    from Hibler-Kappen, page 64, pertaining to HK-449/450.............................

Medals designed by Clifford Hewitt who installed equipment and taught natives its operation; dies by George Morgan of Philadelphia Mint......................

well, i guess Mssrs. Hewitt and Morgan must have forgotten where their inspiration for the reverse die came from, but it wouldn't be the first time with American Coinage or Medallic tribute where artistic licence has in reality been more a form of plagarism. my appreciation of the Manila Mint Opening medal has just sunk a notch................image
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    <Have you ever considered collecting medals?>

no
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Considered it. I dig 'em lots. But I'm spread too thin right now as it is...
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought one. Nothing of the caliber shown above, but it's for a gift. My son's skating mentor is a collector of historical items and we came across this on eBay:
    Hope he likes it.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some beautiful medals here.
    Stork---absolutely gorgeous and impressive
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • I don't consider myself a medal collector, but I do buy medals that I consider attractive.image

imageimage
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>from Hibler-Kappen, page 64, pertaining to HK-449/450.............................

Medals designed by Clifford Hewitt who installed equipment and taught natives its operation; dies by George Morgan of Philadelphia Mint......................

well, i guess Mssrs. Hewitt and Morgan must have forgotten where their inspiration for the reverse die came from, but it wouldn't be the first time with American Coinage or Medallic tribute where artistic licence has in reality been more a form of plagarism. my appreciation of the Manila Mint Opening medal has just sunk a notch................image >>

For those not knowing what keets is referring to, here are HK449 (silver) and HK450 (copper) commemorating the openning of the Manila Mint.

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely!

Primarily 19th Century medals from Belgium:

England:

And Cathedral medals from the Wiener boys:
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. But i do have this one as J.J. Mickley was an ancestor of mine.

I do say though that some are very interesting and not expensive at all. They may be a nice thing to collect untill the coin market simmers down a little. Bob imageimage
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do and I find them fascinating.
  • PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

<< <i>J.J. Mickley was an ancestor of mine. >>

Really? Wow! I own a Mickley medal as well, the portrait piece accomplished by Lea Ahlborn of Sweden. I can think of no finer numismatic ancestor -- not even Feld's great uncle!

Medals are one of my great loves, particularly medals struck to show improvements in minting technology and early American historical medals. Perhaps my favorite medal is a silver inaugural medal by Thomas Jefferson, the first American work of John Reich. Jefferson, who was an active medal collector through his retirement, liked the portrait on it enough that he gave one to each of his daughters. In one of the greatest bargains ever, Jefferson once paid a Virginia neighbor a quarter for an Indian Peace medal!

For those of you interested in medals, may I recommend the Medal Collectors of America? The monthy magazine is extremely informative, including contributions from some of America's best known collectors and researchers. I'm not just a member, I'm also the VP.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• I have a few of them including a Bill Clinton official inaugural medal from his first term. Bowers and Merena
    were one of the official distributors of them and for $35 I figured why not? Looked kind of interesting.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve collecting a number of medals over the years. My most significant collection is my set of Comitia Americana medals. These were medals that the Continental Congress awarded to heroes of the American Revolutionary War. The original medals that were awarded to the recipients were in gold or silver. The pieces that I collect are all in bronze. The most famous medal in the set, although it is an unofficial part of it, is the Libertas Americanas medal, which provided the basis for the Liberty Pole to Cap design that appeared on early U.S. half cents and large cents.

My goal was to purchase pieces that were struck from the original dies whenever that was possible. Failing that I looked for the earliest pieces that I could find. The first U.S. mint was unable to produce the original versions of these medals, and all but one piece were first produced at the French mint in Paris. Later, by the mid 19th century, the U.S. mint began to produce these pieces, mostly from new dies that very close in appearance to the original pieces.

The member who began this thread stated that he is collecting modern medals. The trouble is the modern medals the mint sells today are the “yellow bronze” or sandblasted pieces, which most collectors find to be quite unattractive. In the 19th century the mint took considerable care in putting a rich mahogany finish on the medals, often over a proof-like surface. By the 1890s the U.S. mint emulated the Paris mint and began to issue medals with a dull matte finish. From then on the quality of U.S. mint medals has suffered, and so has the collector interest in them.

I run on here for too long. If that is an interest in my medals, I’ll post some pictures. It really is an under appreciated area of U.S. numismatics.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    moden mint medals are also made in much more substantial numbers than the older
    versions. Where mintages were once in the dozens they are now often in the tens of
    thousands. There are numerous types of modern medals and many are made in small
    numbers or were made in large numbers but had a local release and high attrition.

Tempus fugit.
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I pick up the occasional Victorian medal, and after seeing those Cathedral medals, I think I might try to get a few image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you ever considered collecting medals? What draws you to them or repels you from them? >>

I don't really collect medals, but I do have one.
    Got from a deceased relative who was an
    orphaned indian back in the 1880's. Don't
    know a whole lot about the medal though.

imageimage
  • JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    >>

That is cool and very thoughtfull!
    Looks like an Heraldic eagle on a skate board image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file