Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's with this Grading Service: Sports Cards Direct?

Look at this Henderson card? It looks pretty nice? 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson Rookie SCD 10

Just curious if anyone heard or had some knowledge on this service? image

rbd

Comments

• zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    SCD, the magazine, sold their grading sevice to the people who started the new SCd(Sports Card Direct). People think they have loosened their standard from the old SCD. I have limited experience but have had 2 old SCD and 1 new cross over to PSA with the same grade. Small smaple size so I wouldn't put too much into that.

Edited to add:

the card looks good, but that dealer also deals PSA and BGS, so I would wonder why that card is in an SGC holder?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    If this particular seller has a card in an SCD holder you have to suspect that there's a very good reason for that.
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I had not ever heard that this Sports Cards Direct had any sort of relation with the original SCD, I was always of the assumption that whoever started Sports Cards Direct (and I figured it was some guy out of his basement) did so with the intention of being able to use the lettering SCD, which would acually lend crediibility to the card. I would have no problems purchasing a card in an original SCD (Sports Collectors Digest) holder, and I suspect other knowledgable graded collectors would also purchase these cards because that was a legitimate operation when it was running, however, I suspect this new company is shady. Add to it the fact that Red-Zone (aka shaqfu1) is the one selling it, and you have your answer, 100% guaranteed trimmed.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    From what i understand the new SCD bought the rights and machinery from the old SCD.

FWIW I had 1 deal with red zone and it went well.

Brian on the other hand and his switched Orr card/cert did not.

The orr card while not sold to Brian by Red zone came via them if I remm correctly.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Didn't the new SCD buy all the grading equipment from the old SCD, made some changes to the label, though similiar.

Stingray
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I don't know of any modern dealers who use them except for some very well known card doctors. Stay away.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i agree with A761506....there have been discussions on here regarding shaqfus cards.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • What is the story behind Red - Zone?
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    Red-Zone is well know for being a shady dealer. I once bought some 1985 Nike Jordan cards and unopened packs. After receiving them, I noticed that they were the reprints. I got a full refund and Red-Zone was easy to work with, probably because they knew the cards were reprints too.

Don
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Red-Zone is well know for being a shady dealer. I once bought some 1985 Nike Jordan cards and unopened packs. After receiving them, I noticed that they were the reprints. I got a full refund and Red-Zone was easy to work with, probably because they knew the cards were reprints too.

Don >>

It's a tough call, to call a seller shady with over 6500 transactions and a killer 5-year ebay feedback. Maybe he just "stayed under the radar" you think, Don?

rbd

edit: that's 6569 positive and 1 negative since sep 2000!
    He also sells under the name shaqfu1.

Steve

The negs are here

tons of positive too..................

Good for you.

<< <i>He also sells under the name shaqfu1.

Steve

The negs are here

tons of positive too.................. >>

I don't know Steve, between both Sites, this guy sells "tons" of cards! Hundreds of deals per month! He must have a pretty good following. He's some busy guy! Just to keep that inventory of items he "churns out" each month is something! Wow! He must be a buying machine? For he's sure an ebay selling machine!

...doctored or not, there seems to be buyers out there bidding on his SCD items!

rbd
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    RBD,

I think he sells a ton of good stuff, but he also entertains the bad stuff. That being said, if it smells fishy it probably is.

eBay has a ton of people that don't know what they are doing in the hobby. Good customer service, despite entertaining a few bad things, can net a seller good feedback and therefor credibility. dontippet who bought some of those reprints and got a refund may have given him + feedback. Since he got that + does that mean he is a reputable dealer? Since he didn't disclose they were reprints but refunded the $ of someone that knew, does that make him honest?

I say no. He may have 99% good stuff but since he dabbles on the dishonest side garners a big scarlet letter from me.

I deal primarily PSA cards and have sold a few ungraded here and there. I make sure to accurately describe the ungraded as well as show a very large scan so people can see the flaws from themselves. I have bought a few cards raw or in PRO holders that turned out to be trimmed or fake. I would never even attempt to resell them. I just chalk it up in the Loss column. I have a 59 Aaron that was in a PRO 9 holder and it actually looks mint. But when I cracked it out and held it up against another 59 Aaron I saw it was shorter on both height and width. That is a card I will never part with. Primarilly because I feel bad selling it because I know it is trimmed and even if I tell someone it is trimmed upon the sale, a guy like Red-Zone will likely buy it and not tell someone else it is trimmed and sell it at a premium. Not good practices.

Sorry for the rant but this is where eBay feedback is complete and utter BS. I have 2 neg feedback from vindictive sellers I bought from. I have NEVER gotten a neg from a buyer. Look at who people got their negs from and how they respond, that is better than simply looking at the numbers.

I recently bought some beautiful raw from a guy who had 5 negs and less than 200 feedback. The 5 negs were from not paying for stuff he won. But I saw a lot of repeat buyers of his raw stuff and nothing but good comments.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
    ...doctored or not, there seems to be buyers out there bidding on his SCD items![/

Robert

Then go for it, and let us all know how you made out.

I had one deal with the guy and it went well.

I also have heard many nightmare stories regarding him.

SD
    Good for you.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Regarding one of the posts above, who are some of the "well-known" card doctors?
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Sports Cards Direct bought some grading equipment from the old SCD, but has no affiliation with them whatsoever. Sports Cards Direct basically made the label look similar to fool people, but they sell a bunch of overgraded and trimmed/doctored cards. I used to buy SCD cards because they usually crossed over to PSA (I was crossing them at a 80%+ clip), but the new SCD is horrible. I actually called them once and they claimed they were affiliated with the magazine, but I called the original SCD graders and they said there's absolutely no link and seemed quite irritated the this new company was lying about it.

<< <i>...doctored or not, there seems to be buyers out there bidding on his SCD items![/

Robert

Then go for it, and let us all know how you made out.

I had one deal with the guy and it went well.

I also have heard many nightmare stories regarding him. SD
    >>

"Then go for it"? You want me to try an SCD? Steve, I'd buy some PSA's in an "ebay minute" from Red Zone, if he had some nice PSA material I needed or desired. But as far as SCD goes, based on whats been said here, ...I wouldn't buy an SCD with your money! image

rbd

edit: By the way Steve, did you buy from Red Zone before or after you heard so-called, "many nightmare stories about him"? image
    so called?? if you want to say that numerous threads regarding that guy is "so called" then so be it.

Listen............do you remm the Orr thread? and the cert that was changed? well go back and read that.

I bought from the guy 1x and my deal went well. I do not know what else you want from me. I even said for you to buy the henderson and then report back to us. Im not quite sure what you're Hmmmmmmm? about.

I believe it was during a so called thread that I was a hi bidder on a lot of psa 8 1965 topps cards. so it was not before or after it was during.

SD

edited to add: I guessit would be hard for you to buy it seeing that the auction ended last month lol

Good for you.