Home U.S. Coin Forum

I had a blast on ANR T Night...Show UR Spoils!

What fun on high speed to see the bids fly past, but if ya had a chance your heart racedimage Lost my two but have 2 domani

Any pics of wins?

Comments

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    I got a big fat ZERO !!

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Nice color on that SLQ Fountain head. I see it went for about double compaired to a normal blast white 65FH 1917.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I'm not normally an SLQ fan but WOW that is one great coin!
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice SLQ! I see that some people are as nuts as I am when it comes to paying premiums for nice coins. image

jom
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nothing at ANR, but I got an 1887 MS66RB indian cent in the heritage internet auction that ended last night.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • I'm quite satisfied with my purchase.; the floor didn't even max out my bid. No marks visible in a magnifying glass, good color, full head, full shield, and full nipple!

What more could a man ask for? So now we're married! image
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Lots 122 and 132, medals designed by John Reich. Nice bust half ephemera!
  • I couldn't believe what 133, the silver Samson, went for! I wish I had been there for the floor bidding, it must have been quite an experience!
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got a big fat ZERO !!

image >>

Hey, she is dutch!!

Didn't even looked at the lotsimage
  • 1793 Washington halfpenny
    imageimage
    An EF-45, but with far greater eye appeal than the mushy AU Liverpool lot that was offerred.
  • cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bid a common date CBH in NGC AU58 to $1201.00 and lost........
    I hope the guy who won it enjoys it......image
  • Actually, I was indeed outbid on some of "my" items. Besides, it isn't really a good feeling when one wins every lot one bids for; a few losing bids are a good preventative to "buyer's remorse".

The BHs and CBHs were strongly bid. Last year in Baltimore one just slipped out of my grasp - I thought I had won but they re-opened the lot and I wilted. This year the good coins were entirely out of reach - and IMO the quality was inferior, with the photos excessively flattering several dark coins. So if you were bidding "blind" - without attending the lot viewing, that is - don't feel bad about losing.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I was high bidder at $900 on an 1813 CBH until about twenty minutes before internet closing. This was double the starting bid, so must have been above the reserve. Next I checked I was still high bidder, but right at my much higher max bid. Live bidding is now closed, and exactly at my max bid of $1250.

It always makes me wonder when this happens. How can we be sure that there actually was a bid one increment below our max?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got shut out. image Nice SLQ though...sweet.
    Just got my first ANR auction score !!! Now, all I need for X - Mass is a pair of blue suede shoes to match this ;

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

• Three of the medals I was following, appear to have sold very well. First, the Libertas medal sold for $11,500. Not very long ago, one could be had for under $2k. Next, lot 123 sold for about two and a half times what Mr. Pistareen guessed. Then lot 133, previously mentioned by Fountainhead, sold for ~$6300, triple what I'd have guessed.

Then today, NONE of the early halves appear to have sold, including the 1813 Mr. Mozin got maxed on. If this is in fact correct, then what does it say about Laura's prediction? Reserves too high? An important bidder stayed home? These weren't the nice coins she referred to(and some of these early halves were nothing but barking dogs)?

<< <i>Then today, NONE of the early halves appear to have sold, including the 1813 Mr. Mozin got maxed on. If this is in fact correct, then what does it say about Laura's prediction? Reserves too high? An important bidder stayed home? These weren't the nice coins she referred to(and some of these early halves were nothing but barking dogs)? >>

How do you conclude my wanted 1813 did not sell?

I was told last month that opening bids were about 60% of reserve. This lot opened at $510, which should place the reserve about $850. My bid of $1250 is 2 1/2 times opening bid. What is going on? Did I win, or not?image
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Then today, NONE of the early halves appear to have sold, including the 1813 Mr. Mozin got maxed on. If this is in fact correct, then what does it say about Laura's prediction? Reserves too high? An important bidder stayed home? These weren't the nice coins she referred to(and some of these early halves were nothing but barking dogs)? >>

I was told last month that opening bids were about 60% of reserve. This lot opened at $510, which should place the reserve about $850. My bid of $1250 is 2 1/2 times opening bid. What is going on? Did I win, or not?image >>

It shows to be closed with no hammer price. Evidently it did not reach reserve. Ths is also what maxed your bid as the book continued to raise in an attempt to reach the reserve.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
    Looks like the ANR rep gave me incorrect information on that 60% rule.image

Thanks for the quick response. At least now I can forget about this ANR auction.
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't watching this lot when it went on the floor so I don't know but I suspect that what the rep meant was that it would open to the floor at 60% of reserve--irregardless of any internet or mail bids. The book would then bid for you up to your internet max.

Jim
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Too bad. That looked like a really nice coin!
  • Test
  • JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    I found the Live feature completely useless. The lots are completed before the site is updated, and then the history of the bidding is erased. So there's no way to know how many bids took place over the highest internet bid. Personally I found the experience very frustrating...
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I'm shocked I won this piece:image

My second winning and final bid 1934 Texas PCGS 67

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I won this lot 1941
    I will pick it up tommorow. I was more interested in the Franklin DCAM more than the other coins.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1873 Close 3. MS-65 (PCGS) Bass Collection

PCGS Population: 6; 2 finer (both MS-66).
    From RARCOA's sale of Auction '79, July 1979, Lot 1186; Bowers and Merena's sale of the Harry W. Bass, Jr. Collection, May 2000, Lot 231.

I fought tooth and nail to win this one. It went for strong money but not outrageous money, thank goodness.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • That coin is a beauty! Looks familiar.image
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Great coins all. Congrats
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I was wondering when you were going to chime in. The regular mint mark is a super tough coin in high grade. Congrats on your win.
  • DUIGUY

That was on my watch list! Good pick up!image
  • oreville, was that the Cam 62? That went for over 5K?
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No; it was MS-65.

Yes, it went over $5000. It sold for just over $4000 in the year 2000.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • 1841 Webster
    imageimage
    The "tribute" referred to was the millions paid in the 18th century, shortly after independence, to ransom American hostages - now lacking the protection of the British Navy - from the Barbary pirates of the Ottoman Empire.

This tribute was a substantial proportion of federal revenues at the time. President Jefferson didn't want to pay it and sent the little U.S. fleet and its Marines into action. Together with Arab allies and foreign mercenaries, U.S. forces reached "the shores of Tripoli" and subdued its pasha into peace. This task was repeated under President Monroe a decade later, and this time piracy was ended permanently.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

<< <i>

<< <i>I was high bidder at $900 on an 1813 CBH until about twenty minutes before internet closing. This was double the starting bid, so must have been above the reserve. Next I checked I was still high bidder, but right at my much higher max bid. Live bidding is now closed, and exactly at my max bid of $1250.

It always makes me wonder when this happens. How can we be sure that there actually was a bid one increment below our max? >>

<< <i>

I was told last month that opening bids were about 60% of reserve. This lot opened at $510, which should place the reserve about $850. My bid of $1250 is 2 1/2 times opening bid. What is going on? Did I win, or not?image >>

Prices Realized are now in and it looks like I was the underbidder on this 1813. Looks like the reserve was not a factor. Most of the early CBHs did indeed sell.

Too bad ANR has such a confusing web site on prices realized. The lot item page stil shows me as the winner, the auction lot browse list still shows blank (not sold) for the early CBHS, while the Prices Realized pdf shows the prices truly realized.image
  • Guess the grade:
    imageimage
  • All very nice but please NO Guess the grade! Keep posting if their are more and you'd like to share. A quick guess would be 62/63?
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You all suck.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • And Because ???image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • No wins for you last night I take it?
  • OK, no grade-guessing. That was an NGC MS64.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file