Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Roberto Alomar's Best Rookie Card?

Barring any tiffany or glossy issues, which is it? Score Traded?
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Score traded without a doubt. The rarest and best looking. Not a bad investment as they can be had for cheap and will take a little jump when he retires and another when he gets enshrined. He will be remembered as one of the best 2B of all time.

Lee
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭
    Yep. (There's also his 1987 Wichita Pilots card.)
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Score traded without a doubt. The rarest and best looking. Not a bad investment as they can be had for cheap and will take a little jump when he retires and another when he gets enshrined. He will be remembered as one of the best 2B of all time.

Lee >>

For a few extra bucks I think the score glossy is a way better investment. This was the first year score produced cards, and apparently the glossy is limited to 5000 sets? I don't think there has been a PSA 10 graded yet, however the 9 is relatively cheap. The set sells for about 75-100 unopened on ebay.
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At one time I was sure that Robby would be a first ballot guy. I think he may have to wait a little longer than Ryno did.
    Mike
    rep,
    I agree, but the original poster excluded tiffany and glossy issues. I'd go for that one as well.

Lee
  • srs1asrs1a Posts: 398

<< <i>Score traded without a doubt. The rarest and best looking. Not a bad investment as they can be had for cheap and will take a little jump when he retires and another when he gets enshrined. He will be remembered as one of the best 2B of all time.

Lee >>

I think he will be remembered as the guy that spit in an umpire's face.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Who is John Hischbeck, Alex.
  • KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    I sold a Robby Alomar Score Traded PSA 10 for close to $ 250 years ago.

I sold it just in time too , because not long after he came to N.Y and his career declined quickly as well as his cards im sure

I'll never forget that card because it was my first PSA 10 that i submitted . I feel bad for the guy that bought it because i doubt it would sell close to what i sold it for now .
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Who is John Hischbeck, Alex. >>

Mudflap, pick a category please.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
    "Let's finish out the obscure baseball umpire references for 500."

Lee

Incidentally, that guy was the absolute worst umpire ever, except this one guy during a little league game against a team who's son was pitching and his dad was the umpire. I think 3 balls were called all game. I wanted to spit in his face.

Lee

• << <i>I sold a Robby Alomar Score Traded PSA 10 for close to $ 250 years ago.

I sold it just in time too , because not long after he came to N.Y and his career declined quickly as well as his cards im sure

I'll never forget that card because it was my first PSA 10 that i submitted . I feel bad for the guy that bought it because i doubt it would sell close to what i sold it for now . >>

Do you recall the PSA # of that card?

John.
    GB
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    nopeimage

• << <i>Score traded without a doubt. The rarest and best looking.

Lee >>

I'd have to agree with you there Lee...

Awesome card!

John.
    GB
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    lee, you got yer beer goggles ready?
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    I am a big Alomar fan and I have most of his RCs.

The 1988 Score Traded Glossy and the 1988 Topps Tiffany are the best known ones.

You want to know the toughest. Try the 1989 Starting Lineup card in high grade.

Only two PSA 8s graded so far and none higher. I own one of them.

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe no one mentioned 88 Donruss....even 4 years ago
  • i think bobby alomars years with the mets really tarnished his legacy...

he really was a huge disaster on the biggest stage in the world....

totally looked like a guy who got off PED's.....

wouldnt be surprised if he was on the list of 103.....
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    It's hard to believe that it was almost 20 years ago that I got his 88 Score Traded rookie signed before a game. If I recall correctly, it had a little wear from when I traded for it, but I still have it somewhere. I'll have to look for it this evening and scan it in.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm selling his 88 Score traded on ebay ending on Thurday night. Its graded a 9.5 from BGS.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Love old threads.

I subbed a Score Glossy rookie last summer trying for the first 10. Kind of cool that a 4 year old thread mentions the fact that there are no 10's and there still aren't. Mine was a 9 but still sold for $50.

<< <i>It's hard to believe that it was almost 20 years ago that I got his 88 Score Traded rookie signed before a game. If I recall correctly, it had a little wear from when I traded for it, but I still have it somewhere. I'll have to look for it this evening and scan it in. >>

Here it is...

• lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

• << <i>

<< <i>It's hard to believe that it was almost 20 years ago that I got his 88 Score Traded rookie signed before a game. If I recall correctly, it had a little wear from when I traded for it, but I still have it somewhere. I'll have to look for it this evening and scan it in. >>

Here it is...

image >>

Nice!

John.
    GB
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    "Linky to 3 hours ago "

omg my world is crashing down...<exit sarcasm>