Home U.S. Coin Forum

Buying coins through EBAY

I have recently bought coins through EBAY. Any pointers on who to buy from and who to avoid? Any other suggestions on who to buy coins from other than through EBAY. I am currently trying to complete several different series of coins. Thanks.
image Barry

Comments

• Blacklist sent.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• I have found you can't go wrong with forum members who sell on ebay.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Buy PCGS/NGC/ANACS slabs only. Always choose a seller with a return policy. If they say "no returns on certified coins", forget them. They're usually selling dogs.

If you must buy raw coins, choose a seller with hundreds of transactions and a rating of 99.9% or better. Also, PCGS board members here can be trusted. Othewise, there's a lot of absolute junk out there. I've been buying raw coins looking for cherrypicks and my success rate is maybe 50%, while it's 90% at shows. And let me tell you 50% is good on eBay. Two years ago, it was about 1%. It was an expensive lesson. Pictures can be edited, manipulated. Coins can be cleaned, scratched, etc. Most are over-graded by at least a point, usually more. Be careful!

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>If you must buy raw coins, choose a seller with hundreds of transactions and a rating of 99.9% or better. >>

Nonsense, and bad advice. It pays to read a seller's negatives, especially if they have just a few. Take my account for example. According to your advice, people shouldn't buy raw coins from me. I have a feedback score of 534 with a 99.4 positive rating. Why? Two retaliatory negatives from non-paying bidders and one negative from someone who bid on my auctions just to place negative feedback.
  • Thanks for the link!!
    image Barry
    Sirbear, here is a helpful link. This website will parse negative and neutral feedback. I've used my account as an example. You can tell a lot just by looking at negatives like this, especially when you check out the feedback of those who have posted bogus negatives:

Toolhouse
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you can return coin for refund if you don't like. Check the feedback, especially negatives, before bidding. Keep in mind that although possible to buy nice raw coin on ebay, there is alot of "shlock" and junk on ebay. Safest route for inexperienced coin buyer on ebay is to buy only ANACS, PCGS, NGC, ICG slabs.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Thanks K6AZ!image
    image Barry
    You're welcome, and I'll second what mr1874 said. When buying raw on eBay, always insist on a clear return policy.
  • Can someone post Ebay User ID's for Forum Members.....that would be real helpful if anyone has such a list.
  • nevermind...didnt scroll far enough
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Nonsense, and bad advice. It pays to read a seller's negatives, especially if they have just a few.

I said PCGS board members can be trusted Eric...did you miss that in my post?

• Here's an example of someone NOT to buy from; and no one should worry about defending this person he's already been booted off eBAY
    despite the 4000+ positives:
    LINK

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file