Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Need some info on prospects from the guys that follow the minors

I saw in another thread a mention that Jason Kubel has been playing well; I got his Bowman Chrome autograph out of a pack last year, and at the time the cards were going for about the same as a pack, now they're going for $20-$30. How well has he been playing? Is the hype just hype, or does he really have talent? I'm likely to go ahead and sell with the attention he's getting, unless it's deserved.

As a Cubs fan, what is the buzz on Ryan Harvey? I don't even remember when the Cubs drafted him, so how is he doing in the minors? What are people saying? How far away is he from the majors, and does he have any chance with Alou, Patterson, and Sosa on the team right now? Also, what is the story with Felix Pie. I was going to get one of his BC when the set first came out, and I'm happy I didn't pick one up yet. Is his age (19?) believeable? Are either Harvey or Pie projected as being big league stars, or has the hype gone away?

One more question: I've been hearing Choo Freeman's name on Sports Center, and I wound up with a couple of his '99 BC, so how is he playing? Do people think he's going to do anything, or is he "too old" to be a prospect anymore?
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Comments

• Jason Kubel: .377 avg, 6 HR, 29 RBI, 14 2B, 4 3B in 37 games of Single A ball. He then got promoted to AA. and then the stats are like this - .358 avg, 1 HR, 12 2B, 15 RBI in 26 games so far. Pretty good if you ask me.

Ryan Harvey: .344 avg, 2 HR, 18 2B, 3 3B, 24 RBI, and 8 stolen bases in 49 games of Single A ball so far.

Felix Pie: .306 avg, 4 HR, 8 2B, 5 3B, 21 RBI, and 12 stolen bases in 56 games of Single A ball so far. he does have 56 K's already though. I need to see him in AA ball before I get excited.

As for Choo Freeman, he has played in 12 games so far this year with Colorado. he is batting .179, 1 HR, 3 RBI, zero doubles or triples, and he has only 1 stolen base. He turns 25 in October. Not super old, but he doesn't look to me like somebody I would invest in.

I hope this helps you. Good luck prospecting!!

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Wrong!

The Ryan Harvey that Roach gave the stats for is not the same Ryan Harvey, the Ryan harvey that plays for the Cubs is still in extended Spring Training waiting for short season ball to play. The Ryan Harvey that is dominating is a 25 year old Mets prospect. I just found that out on Tuesday, so I myself was wondering why his cards were going down, but it's obviously since he's not playing.
    Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • I sit corrected. Thanks.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    You can check out minorleaguebaseball.com or baseballamerica.com.

I didn't know Rick Asadoorian was now in the Rangers' org. I wish that guy who won my 2000 Finest auction for $75 had paid up back then.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • FuturemanFutureman Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping that maybe someone had seen the players in action, or could tell me how they were progressing relative to how far along players are usually supposed to be. Too bad the Ryan Harvey I was talking about wasn't the 25 year old tearing up A ball. I was surprised that someone in A ball has a card, and then come to find out that Harvey isn't even in A ball! It is a bad sign that Harvey is still in spring training right? I'm not that familiar with the minors, but I didn't know if maybe it was caused by an injury.

Too bad about Choo, if he could produce he would add another 10 years to Chris Berman's career.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.