Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bought a trade $ from China...am I nuts or what?

Last one I bought was real and I made a hundred bucks. Hope I'm not stretching my luck link

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I think there should be a period after fine unless there are some varietys without.

1874-cc
    It was in the auction archives.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    The reason he has this " Winning bidder: User ID kept private" in the auction, is so that no one can send you an email warning you that it's a fake. (There have been so many fake Trade dollars recently, I wouldn't by a raw one unless I could hold it in my hand first.)
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Looks good even without the period (some die varieties do not have a period after fine) image
    I looked at Tradedollarnut's website.
    No mention of a 74-cc without the period variety.
    He does list the 74-s without period variety.

TDN's site.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    The mint mark, CC, doesn't match up to the one Placid's showing.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    There are about 3-5 different reverse dies used on the 74-CC so the CC spacing isn't a good diagnostic. I've been trying to rack my brain to remember if I've ever seen a CC that close on a 74-CC and am coming up without a conslusion. I looked at the coin as well and there are no obvious issues with the coin. The rims look good, stars look good, Type I/I obverse and reverse are correct. The only thing I didn't like about the coin was the fact that it has the funny but usual toning. Good luck on the coin and let us know if its real. I just never buy Trades from overseas.

keoj
  • One of the coin rags had a great article on superior quality fake trade dollars a few weeks back.
    Would have been a great reference in this case.
    If this is a genuine die variety, it is likely listed in Breen.
    The quality is all there. This is a toughie!
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, keoj!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    well this one is not and you lost $200

since when is Singapore in China?
    1. Micro cc: Breen-5786. Mintmark .74 mm. high; .75 mm. spacing between C’s. Rare.
    2. Minute CC: Mintmark .84 mm. high; .4 mm. spacing between C’s.
    3. Minute CC: Mintmark .9 mm. high; .75 mm. spacing between C’s.
    4. Medium CC: Mintmark 1.1 mm. high; .55 mm. spacing between C’s. Dot on 8 of date on obverse.
    5. Medium CC: Mintmark 1.1 mm. high; .6 mm. spacing between C’s. Slight doubled die on reverse.
    6. Tall CC: Mintmark 1.17 mm. high; .6 mm. spacing between C’s.

• Three of the Breen varieties exist in Heritage's archive and they only have about 6 pieces of the date listed!
  • since when is Singapore in China?

my secrets out, I wasn't a geography major in college. I've seen em without period b4. Down side is not a $200 loss it's 50 bucks. ebay insurance eats $175. It was late I should have been sleeping.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I could be wrong and you could have gotten a great deal

The guy calls it an XF - why? no luster?

the detail on 'most' of the coin is MS - except around the head VF ? or grease in dye? wheres the hair?

the detail around the fingers and the branch she is holding also is exaggerated

I do not see any rub on the arm or the dress she has - and then shes got that perky nip - whats up with that?
  • You pervert, why are you looking at my coin's nip?

Strike variation can cause what you see or maybe picture angle. Check his feedback. All neg.s are from two guys that ran him through the ringer about a year ago over fake trade dollars. I'm betting he doesn't want to go through that again.
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720

<< <i>There are about 3-5 different reverse dies used on the 74-CC so the CC spacing isn't a good diagnostic. I've been trying to rack my brain to remember if I've ever seen a CC that close on a 74-CC and am coming up without a conslusion. I looked at the coin as well and there are no obvious issues with the coin. The rims look good, stars look good, Type I/I obverse and reverse are correct. The only thing I didn't like about the coin was the fact that it has the funny but usual toning. Good luck on the coin and let us know if its real. I just never buy Trades from overseas.

keoj >>

If anyone would know, it's you Joe.
    I was trying to locate this variety in the literature I have but haven't been able to.
    It "looks" good to me too.
    The only help I can offer is that this is not the 1874-CC counterfeit that Gary Fortin reported in volume 29 issue 85 of the Gobrecht Journal. The mintmark is different.

Ray
  • One of the most counterfeit coins. I don't think I'd get one unless it was in a PCGS, NGS or ANACS slab, raw is just asking for trouble with these.
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    A lot of good the guarantee of genuineness will do you from somebody in Asia. Good luck, the gambler's spirit is alive and well.
    DSW
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Jim, don't worrry he has Boo-Hoo Cash available in case you get ripped-offimage-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file