Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cracked case

I sent some cards to Robert Edwards and one arrived seriously cracked - the entire lower corner across the card. (Luckily it wasn't an expensive card.) I know when sending back to PSA to reholder, if the crack goes across the card they have to re-grade it in case it was damaged.

Does anyone know if I can specify no reholdering if it doesn't come back with the same grade? Or since I'm paying for the regrade (regardless of what that grade turns out to be) does it make more sense to just reholder no matter what?

Comments

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

For me it would depend on the value of the card, whether or not it is rare, and what the damage may have done to the card.

Also, I would hope shipping insurance would cover it.

If you care to share more information and pictures then I think you may get some great responses from the community.

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:
    For me it would depend on the value of the card, whether or not it is rare, and what the damage may have done to the card.

Also, I would hope shipping insurance would cover it.

If you care to share more information and pictures then I think you may get some great responses from the community.

Sadly, Robert Edwards accepted the shipment, then simply returned the card to me. So I don't know how I could prove it was damaged during the original shipping and not by RA, or on the return trip from RA.

It's not even a $100 card (Gary Payton rookie), but it was a PSA 10. If it would re-grade as a 10 it'd be worth it, but otherwise not. I was hoping there'd be a way to send it to PSA and say "If this will re-holder as a 10, I'll do it, but if not, then forget it."

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I don't think they would do it without some fee, which I would understand, but I'm not certain.

Depending on how much business you do with Robert Edwards, and want to continue doing, I would talk with customer service about the situation to get their insight. It's possible this is rare, or common, and possibly they will help you. If this were a $1000 card that could lose a grade 10 or a cheaper card that you'd be out entirely because it wouldn't be worth reholdering/grading, then possibly you would reconsider the shipping carrier or auction house. I can't imagine the box being is great condition with a cracked cars inside unless the damage was done at RE.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1 said:
    I sent some cards to Robert Edwards and one arrived seriously cracked - the entire lower corner across the card. (Luckily it wasn't an expensive card.) I know when sending back to PSA to reholder, if the crack goes across the card they have to re-grade it in case it was damaged.

Does anyone know if I can specify no reholdering if it doesn't come back with the same grade? Or since I'm paying for the regrade (regardless of what that grade turns out to be) does it make more sense to just reholder no matter what?

You can absolutely put a min grade request, but it won't save you any money, and I wouldn't expect to get the cracked slab back.