Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's the most unique piece of memorabilia that you own?

In 1985 I had a yearly football guide that listed every NFL team's players, coaches and staff. I was 14 and decided to write every equipment manager and ask for some helmet decals.

The Chiefs sent back helmet decals and logoed wristbands. I sold them a few years back.

The Rams sent helmet decals and their "yearbook." I sold the decals and still have the yearbook.

And then the Houston Oilers sent helmet decals that I still have. I often wonder if they're the only set of unpeeled original Houston Oiler decals left. I always liked their logo. It's such a cool bye gone era of the NFL.

Comments

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Very neat. Mine would be stadium seats from the Chicago Bulls / Blackhawks remodel after Jordan began playing. Not very unique compared to the helmet decals.

Or maybe a Negro League baseball autographed by a dozen players including Mr. Cub? Given to me by an elderly friend who received it from a former Negro League player from the local area.

Still not on par with those decals!

Hope to hear more from people.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ironmanfan has some amazing and unique pieces.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

We held up a “1,000” sign at a New England Revolution MLS soccer game when goalie Matt Reis made his 1,000th career save. After the game he jumped the barrier and came over and signed each number for us and thanked us… then in the post game interview on tv, he said he didn’t even know it was that milestone until he saw our sign!!!! It’s unique to his career, but also a great story we found ourselves in the middle of!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just happened to be working in Denver when Coors field opened. The stadium has a brewery called The Sandlot Brewery. They bottled some of the beer and sold it is some retail stores to commemorate opening day of the season. It was said that it would be the only time the beer would be bottled. I have a few bottles of the beer. A also have a couple different commemorative baseballs and a bat that is serial numbered to 300. I went to the very first game played in the stadium and bought an extra ticket to keep. Unfortunately, it was the year that the players were on strike so they had the "replacement" players.

• jimqjimq Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Very cool Oilers helmet decals! There can't be many of those left!

Besides sportscards I also collect game used jerseys, I guess my favorite is a jersey Greg Jennings was wearing against the Cowboys in 2007. What makes is special to me is he was wearing it when he caught Aaron Rodgers first NFL touchdown

Of things I can easily post here -

Here's a letter to a fan by NFL HOFer Ernie Nevers talking about his greatest thrills and a piece of airplane stationery signed by some members of the 71 mets including nolan ryan and tom seaver.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a ticket stub from what is one of the ultra-rare playoff games where Mike Trout made an appearance.

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

The folk art stitching is incredible!

I have Hank Aaron's last contract with Topps (final playing season, not the old timer/Kmart years). Sy Berger also signed it which is neat. Topps randomly listed it one day for a few hundred dollars.

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@yankeesman said:
    I collect Topps Rookie Cup autographs and came across this a few years ago. I don't know whose trophy this is but based on the lettering I believe it's from the 70s.

How big is that thing?

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭

I have a cigar from Dr. J's birthday party ee hosted. We had a hand rolled cigar guy there rolling cigars for Dr. J. From 2008...
    Was an awesome event.
    Met Bill Russell and so so so many more.

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Will PSA authenticate it for you? :)
    That's pretty cool. MJ would probably laugh. Maybe you can get him to autograph it.

• yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1 said:

@yankeesman said:
    I collect Topps Rookie Cup autographs and came across this a few years ago. I don't know whose trophy this is but based on the lettering I believe it's from the 70s.

How big is that thing?

LOL. Not as big as the picture makes it look. A little bigger than a candy dish.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

About 10 years ago my cousin was a caddy at a pretty exclusive golf course in the Chicago area (I can't recall the name). Many of Chicago's famous athletes were members there, including Bo Jackson. One night he was cleaning up the carts (many members had custom carts), and found the hat that Bo was wearing during his round. He snagged it and gave it to me for a birthday present.

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 10:12PM

There was a Milwaukee sports radio show and each week Jonathon Lucroy would come on. At the end of the season he sent one of the hosts one of his cups that read something to the affect of "Thanks for a great season. Game used!" Incredible. Wish I could find the pic of it.