Home Sports Talk

Montana is the GOAT!

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

of game-worn memorabilia.

his jersey from the defeat of the Bengals, "the drive" sold for 1.2MM last night. blowing the previous sale out of the water (Brady Gamer for 480k)

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow the second best drive in a Super Bowl got that much huh?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is crazy!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I know, I was thinking the same thing!

The article said Montana actually wore this same jersey in the Miami SB as well as the Cinci SB.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2023 3:04PM

@perkdog said:

Second Best, Third Best, 1,000th Best. I don't care. That was my favorite SB of all time......I listened on the truck radio while I was working in the Orange Grove. 1989(?). I'll never forget it. I think about it all the time when I am in that same spot....And other times too.....Even until today! That's what football is all about to me....Good Memories.
    Montana may not be the GOAT but he was and still is my FAVORITE QB!

He Was Good
    My Favorite
    You Had To Be There!

edited March 2, 2023 3:45PM

Jersey, schrmeszy....Don't mean a thing to me. A few years ago The sponsors of this forum, Collectors Universe (?) sent me an autographed Jerry Rice jersey. I don't know why. Anyway, my beautiful bank teller, Melanie is a NINER FANATIC!

When The Niners were in the SB a few years ago she told me that she was having a SB Party...I was invited! On the Friday before the game I gave her that jersey..... She was so happy!.... I got a big hug and a kiss!💋. That was worth more than that jersey...OH BABY!..WAS IT EVER!.....
    Bad Part?
    She told The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ about it.
    Girls talk to much!
    Did I Ever Catch Hell!....
    What!..... You gave her that jersey?!?!?!🤦

Oh Well it was worth it!..💋💋💋💋
    I didn't go to the party but Melanie told me she wore the jersey at her shin dig....
    It was worth it Boys!
    Melanie is one Hot Bank Chick! 😳💘
    Life's Been Good To Me So Far....

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

Second Best, Third Best, 1,000th Best. I don't care. That was my favorite SB of all time......I listened on the truck radio while I was working in the Orange Grove. 1989(?). I'll never forget it. I think about it all the time when I am in that same spot....And other times too.....Even until today! That's what football is all about to me....Good Memories.
    Montana may not be the GOAT but he was and still is my FAVORITE QB!

He Was Good
    My Favorite
    You Had To Be There!

I watched it on TV and it was phenomenal

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Well, it is hard to beat a helmet catch and a dime to Plax to beat an undefeated team, I agree, but Montana’s drive was pretty great, too…

😁

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

honestly though, Montanas 91 yard drive with 3 minutes left was fantastic. I was a kid and glued to the TV. I had never seen anything like it.

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@perkdog said:

Well, it is hard to beat a helmet catch and a dime to Plax to beat an undefeated team, I agree, but Montana’s drive was pretty great, too…

😁

Well played good sir 🤣🤣🤣

Better to be lucky than great I guess 😉

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

😁

Well played good sir 🤣🤣🤣

On a more serious note, what’s your #1? Brady’s comeback vs Atlanta ?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

edited March 3, 2023 9:03AM

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

😁

Well played good sir 🤣🤣🤣

On a more serious note, what’s your #1? Brady’s comeback vs Atlanta ?

100% and I can say that taking the homer part of it away, the second greatest was Frank Reich leading the Bills back from a 35-3 deficit against Houston in the AFC Championship game.

I rank Montana's drive against Cincy 3rd

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Jersey, schrmeszy....Don't mean a thing to me. A few years ago The sponsors of this forum, Collectors Universe (?) sent me an autographed Jerry Rice jersey. I don't know why. Anyway, my beautiful bank teller, Melanie is a NINER FANATIC!

When The Niners were in the SB a few years ago she told me that she was having a SB Party...I was invited! On the Friday before the game I gave her that jersey..... She was so happy!.... I got a big hug and a kiss!💋. That was worth more than that jersey...OH BABY!..WAS IT EVER!.....
    Bad Part?
    She told The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ about it.
    Girls talk to much!
    Did I Ever Catch Hell!....
    What!..... You gave her that jersey?!?!?!🤦

Oh Well it was worth it!..💋💋💋💋
    I didn't go to the party but Melanie told me she wore the jersey at her shin dig....
    It was worth it Boys!
    Melanie is one Hot Bank Chick! 😳💘
    Life's Been Good To Me So Far....

lest we forget Elways drive against Cleveland. that must be a top 5 drive

edited March 4, 2023 4:19AM

@craig44 said:

Yep I definitely forgot about that, I remember the Denver vs Cleveland playoff games. They were classics.

@craig44 said:

I don't know about that one.....But....The Lovely Mrs Hydrant™ and I were at a game in Denver long ago....The Broncos were way down in the 4th. Quarter.....They needed 2/3(?)) touchdowns to win the game.....And Elway did it!!!!!.....Best QB late game performance that I ever saw!....UNBELIEVABLE!!!.... Broncos Win!..
    Just as good or maybe better than the SB come back with Brady against the Falcons.....The SB isn't everything boys!...Good stuff happens all the time!!!!

Best Part??
    After the game, We were driving to Nebraska....
    And the view of the Front Range was......Beautiful!...

It was a Great Day!