Home U.S. Coin Forum

3 coin experiments - guess what they were

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

After reading so called "ERROR" posts I always go out to my shop and try to replicated the "Errors" the OP's questions they have asked. Here are 3 of them. I'll post the pictures and let you try to nail down the exact Post Mint problems.......... have fun and I'll post the problems when Identified........ :)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tried melting them under some open flames?

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weak acid, e.g a coke for one of them

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2022 1:21AM

KOOL !!! A cracked zinc cent from bending it...

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2022 5:54AM

Looks like you were going for a Clipped Planchet error on one... and that one heck of a lamination error on the other.. ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

sheet metal brake

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

first is just a melted zincoln from a welding torch, 2nd is some brazing rod, and 3rd too much flame and the cent snapped in half from being held to tight in the pliers.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cent on the left has a 'cut' look to it... not a mint type planchet error. The center cent looks like it was heated and peeled. The right side cent looks as if it were put in a vise and hammered over.... Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wawa ain't got nothing on you! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zinc melting point is about 780°F compared to copper at melting point of just shy of 2000°F - that's why that thin plating of copper held the zinc core together the best it could

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file