Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

banknotes as gifts

silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 13, 2021 8:31AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

i have gotten many banknotes as gifts from family and friends will add more later

this No date South Korea 1000 won was given to me by my wife after her trip to Asia

a friend gave me this 1976 Angola 500 Kwanzas

1990 Italy 2000 Lire given to me by a friend

this ND Libya 1/2 dinar given to me by some friends of my wife

2017 Philippine 100 piso given to me by my wife after her trip to Asia

2017 Philippine 20 piso give to me by my wife after her trip to Asia

$2 bill from 2003 given to me by a friend for Christmas and new years 2009

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2021 2:43PM

Excellent gifts @silverpop, I really like the Angola note.

Several years back I noticed the 2013 (FW) $1 G-I block had an abbreviated run of only 12.8M notes printed so I started a thread on the Paper Money Forum BST asking if anyone had an example for sale. Months went by without a reply. Then, a member (Jim Hodgson) said he found one and offered to gift it to me. What a wonderful gift. It looks GEM to me. To this day, there are zero 2013 $1 G-I block notes graded at PMG.

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

Nice gifts! I like the 1976 500 Kwanzas too. My first world banknotes were gifts from family & it took me years before I started getting more.

Cool story Steve (& lovely gift!)

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice note there steve

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool notes!

thanks

and added few more to the list

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had just logged onto Coin Talk and I saw a new thread from a member saying he had a 1899 Black Eagle that needed a new home - free of charge. I looked at the time stamp on the thread and it had just posted 10 minutes before I logged on. I private messaged the member, and now it’s mine. I’m aware it’s not in the best of shape, but who passes on a free BE. I’ve researched the two names on the back and found that Thomas and Eddie were friends in the 1920s.

edited October 13, 2021 2:38PM

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    I had just logged onto Coin Talk and I saw a new thread from a member saying he had a 1899 Black Eagle that needed a new home - free of charge. I looked at the time stamp on the thread and it had just posted 10 minutes before I logged on. I private messaged the member, and now it’s mine. I’m aware it’s not in the best of shape, but who passes on a free BE. I’ve researched the two names on the back and found that Thomas and Eddie were friends in the 1920s.

Wow! Lucky you Steve (that's one historic looking Black Eagle)!

@silverpop said:
    thanks

and added few more to the list

My sister-in-law gifted me a 100 Pisos note from the Philippines much like this one below:

After visiting the Philippines myself, I had to pick up one just like it (& then re-gift my nephew the note my SIL gave me):

-It looks just like the one she gave me but its a commemorative replacement (with the little + in front of the SN)

After my wife & I swam with the whale sharks near Oslob, Cebu, I had to pick up one of these too:

{While I could have brought some home, I discovered, while there that UNC banknotes from that country were selling on eBay super cheap, so I couldn't resist going on a shopping spree once I returned home}. The #1 note above was the last 100 Pisos printed with the blue tint. A #1 CDN or BEP (US small size) note costs hundreds of dollars but the note pictured above was a little over $10 in UNC. In fact, while on my shopping spree, I'd see many regular SN notes sell for about 30 - 50% of the special serial number above (which to me was a 'steal') The older original blue tint design shows off the whale shark (on the reverse) much better than the modified (all purple tint) design.

I have both the old and new philppine notes in my collection all given to me by my wife

Three things to look out for on banknotes from the Philippines (& any note for that matter); Year issued, signature & serial number prefix. Your 2017F 100 Pesos note has a single letter prefix "C" which is much less common than the 2 letter prefix as seen on your 2017G 20 Pesos ("CV"). From asking around, I'd say that only about 5% -10% of any series year issued has single-letter prefix so its a little more collectible than the 2 letter variety (90%).

When I visited the Philippines, I searched hundreds of notes & discovered that about 60-70% had the Duterte-Tetangco signature at the time. I wanted the first year his signature appears, which happened to be 2016, so I was happy to pick up this one:

-which also happens to be a lower serial number. I also found a few replacements (with the + symbol) but alas, these were all 1000 Pesos notes & were worn too much to be collectible.

For the month I was there, I was pretty surprised when I came across a 200 Pesos so I had to buy one in decent shape:

-which also happens to be a single-letter prefix (& the only one in my collection). While shopping for notes from the Philippines, I also learned that in 2010-2012 these NG (New Generation) banknotes were first printed in France, while the old generation (like the commemorative 100P note I posted above) were the majority & still being printed/issued from the Philippines. So the 2010 & 2012 NG (with AquinoIII & Tetangco) are a bit tougher to find in higher grades too. The banknote museum is a great place to learn about this info (& you will see some cool serial numbers too).

i have a old 200 piso note from 2003 that my wife gave me

this ND bahamas 1 dollar was given to me by a friend

"i have a old 200 piso note from 2003 that my wife gave me"
    -Nice! As I wrote earlier, these are pretty tough to come by in general circulation (at least that's what everybody told me while there). I only got one when I was visiting there for the entire month of plenty of cash use (most businesses in the Philippines, unlike so many other countries I've travelled to, prefer cash).
    The $1 from Bahamas is P-51 (1992).

The first world banknotes I had ever seen were One Dollar (& 50 Cents) like this P-27a from Bahamas after my mom gifted me a couple after her vacation there:

The above note also happens to be one of my first purchases of world currency in 2018.

edited October 19, 2021 8:10AM

most people exchanged the old piso notes for the new piso notes so finding the older piso notes will be hard to do but i gather some may still exist

@silverpop said:
    most people exchanged the old piso notes for the new piso notes so finding the older piso notes will be hard to do but i gather some may still exist

Here's an older one: