Home Stamps Forum

Can German Stamps (Not Cancelled) from the Deutsche Mark era still be used for postage?

DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I discovered I still have modern German stamps, uncanceled, in German Mark denominations. They were supposed to be used before the introduction of the Euro, but that ship has sailed. Can they be traded for Euro Stamps? German Marks (currency and coins) can still be traded for Euros at the German Federal Bank at a rate of 1.95583 DM to 1 Euro. I thought maybe stamps have some kind of special conversion too.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be no.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd also guess no but it is just a guess.

All glory is fleeting.
  • HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    I discovered I still have modern German stamps, uncanceled, in German Mark denominations. They were supposed to be used before the introduction of the Euro, but that ship has sailed. Can they be traded for Euro Stamps? German Marks (currency and coins) can still be traded for Euros at the German Federal Bank at a rate of 1.95583 DM to 1 Euro. I thought maybe stamps have some kind of special conversion too.

Guess not really DeutscherGeist then for asking this.

I’m a Duermeier and Sweinhagen. Study your ghosts 🤠

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an unreasonable question since while pre-euro French coins are demonized I believe old stamps are still valid.

Not sure in DM German stamps. I think Deutsche Post has an English website and maybe some answers can be found there.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niet!! Older German stamps before 2000 and older had a predetermined lifespan.
    however, that changed in 2000/2001 as long as the stamps have a double nomination in Pfennig and Euro.
    All stamps from 2002 to now are valid indefinite.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life