Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cards graded years ago?

I've been out of the hobby for a long time and just came back into the hobby less then a month ago. For years I've had my collection stored away in tote's etc. All of my PSA graded cards were graded years ago even before the half grade was implemented.

My question is will these cards be less valuable cause of the older PSA label?

Collecting Vintage Football - Rc's

1959 Topps Football need help finishing

Comments

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2021 2:20PM

if the card looks nice for the grade you will get a premium regardless of how old the flip is.

• I certainly hope so, especially for those investors spending half a million on gem 10's of the Jordan 86 Fleer. I'd hate to think those 10's mean nothing 20 years from now when they want to sell them.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to an expensive card for my PC, I always want them in the new cases. Too many horror stories with the old cases.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

at first I noticed recently graded cards in the lighthouse label were holding a premium. but now, some of the older graded cards are starting to take over in value. personally, ive sent a bunch of older graded cards in for reholdering, but they retain their old cert numbers so people can see that. I think those will hold premium vs fresh serial numbered cards to some extent depending on the auction.

older holders, like T206's graded before distinguishing tobacco companies/backs or factories, are missing the information current labels have. so those currently graded copies or ones reholdered and correcting the info will also hold premium I think. ive also sent in cards that have wrinkled or faded labels. im sure those wlll yield higher values.

overall, at first, newer lighthouse labels were bringing in more money and people were asking for specifically lighthouse labeled cards. however I see a new market for older labeled cards now and some people search specifically for them when buying.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 8:34AM

I've seen same with Comics. Many consider subs in CCG's first 3 years (pre 2002) to be subject to stricter standards and "pressing" not factoring in is a plus. Others however want the newest slabs - do newton rings enhance value :) Sadly for consumers CBCS' grading standards were even more lenient and erratic and in opinion of most is no longer serious competition. Reason I say sad is they started out on correct road and real competition keeps prices lower and quality of service higher.

Here's the thing if grading standards change for Comics Cards etc, it has the potential to invalidate the grading itself. When i hear PSA (or CGC etc) has become more or less strict I cringe. It's dangerous either way. One of the many things that cost Beckett their top spot among dealers and collectors was inconsistent grading. Not to mention perception that the largest customers receiving benefit of doubt on every card. Meaning if border line if a card fell between a 9 and 9.5 the big time customer got a 9.5 and the average joe a 9. I've heard similar rumblings regarding PSA as well the last year or so...

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

For my PC, the age/style of the PSA label doesn't matter. It's all about the card. In fact, I think I have an example of every type of label...lol. If the label is curled, wrinkled, or crooked, I may look elsewhere.

The condition of the case itself does matter. I avoid major scuffs or scratches that detract from the card.