Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Kahn's Baseball Cards - Who's Got 'Em?

Hi,

This is like a giant game of baseball card Go Fish. Can anyone show me......a 1967 Kahn's Jim Maloney Red Border card? How about a 1967 Kahn's Sammy Ellis Small Variation? A 1967 Kahn's Tommy Helms Small Variation (bat chopped off)?

I didn't think so.

Although PSA has allegedly graded three of the Maloney Reds, two of the small Helms, and one of the small Elliseses (sp?), in reality, I don't think they really have. PSA, as much as I love them, is notorious for getting not only the year of production wrong on Kahn's cards, but also the player, the size, the color, you name it.

1968 Kahns Matty Alou labeled 1967

1968 Kahns Matty Alou Red labeled 1967

1960 Kahn's Gus Bell labeled Gary Bell

1961 Kahn's Gary Bell labeled Gus Bell

1968 Kahn's Bill Mazeroski Large and Small switched
imageimage

1968 Kahn's Vada Pinson Large and Small switched
imageimage

I have a 1958 Kahn's Frank Robinson PSA 8 labeled 1962 around here somewhere, but I don't have a scan of it. Anyone else have mislabeled Kahn's cards to post?

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Kahn's here, but I just packaged up an order of 50 Mech. errors for PSA to fix. Label mistakes happen all the time, it seems like a rate of about 1 out of every 20 graded items from my orders.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...a rate of about 1 out of every 20 graded items from my orders. >>

Ouch! That's incredible. I could understand one mechanical error per 200 or so (even that would be high), but 5%?
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    They are the professionals ???? What a joke
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>No Kahn's here, but I just packaged up an order of 50 Mech. errors for PSA to fix. Label mistakes happen all the time, it seems like a rate of about 1 out of every 20 graded items from my orders. >>

1 for 20 is right around what I experience from them as well. Everything from wrong card number to wrong year to putting the name of a hockey player on a wrestling sticker.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    It can not be too much of a surprise that the folks who passionately collect certain cards know more about them than people who don't, and who are just paid to tell you what they think about the condition of your, or other peoples, cards. Not an excuse, they take money for what they do, but not a surprise.

If I have a question about a post war card I am unsure of, I just ask Bob image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>It can not be too much of a surprise that the folks who passionately collect certain cards know more about them than people who don't, and who are just paid to tell you what they think about the condition of your, or other peoples, cards. Not an excuse, they take money for what they do, but not a surprise. >>

But the information is right there on the submission form! All they need to do is read it!! I don't think someone needs to be a Kahn's card expert to tell that one of the two Pinson cards is LARGE and one is SMALL. Toddlers would get that one right.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It can not be too much of a surprise that the folks who passionately collect certain cards know more about them than people who don't, and who are just paid to tell you what they think about the condition of your, or other peoples, cards. Not an excuse, they take money for what they do, but not a surprise. >>

But the information is right there on the submission form! All they need to do is read it!! I don't think someone needs to be a Kahn's card expert to tell that one of the two Pinson cards is LARGE and one is SMALL. Toddlers would get that one right. >>

This is especially true because as we can see by the cert numbers, you had them next to each other in the same sub. Not an excuse, but sometimes I could almost see a mistake occurring when only one or the other is in the sub without the other size to compare, but come on. I had the exact same type of mech. error, one small and one large next to each other, but of 1979 Quelcom Cassius Clay, in my most recent order pop.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I found a scan of a '67 Sammy Ellis small variation on a website, but unfortunately, the card was no longer for sale. Rats. I also found a '67 Maloney (red) in my basement (who'da thought?)

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I found a scan of a '67 Sammy Ellis small variation on a website, but unfortunately, the card was no longer for sale. Rats. I also found a '67 Maloney (red) in my basement (who'da thought?)

imageimage >>

If you have a 1969 Kahn's Red Striped Ron Santo in your basement I will be impressed.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Some cards are never seen again after a trip to Bob's basement

Does this mean your initial post was a rhetorical question ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Does Dick Sisler have a Kahn's Wiener card? That would be awesome.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Here's a '62 Kahn's Tarkenton RC mislabeled a 1963 -

back -

Here's a correctly labeled 1963 Kahn's Tarkenton =

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Also, what's correct 'weiner' or 'wiener'?

PSA uses 'weiner's', the company making the dogs and cards call them 'wieners'.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, what's correct 'weiner' or 'wiener'?

PSA uses 'weiner's', the company making the dogs and cards call them 'wieners'. >>

They must have used the rule, "i" before "e", except after "c".
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    "They must have used the rule, "i" before "e", except after "c"."
    -----

Can't be much of a rule. Einstein has it wrong in his name...

...twice.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options

Here's my 1967 Kahn's Jim Maloney. I've had it well over 10 yrs.
    I Just came across this forum.

• Options

I love when old threads reappear. I love it a bit less when it's one where I'm taking a pot shot at the grading company I love so much. Mea culpa, PSA.

Nice Maloney. I managed to find one a while back as well.