Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Storing your unopened

So I have some things I’m planning on keeping unopened and I have some questions depending on storing. I will share what I’m doing;
I don’t have much in terms of unopened goes ( 2 fasc 89 fleer bb containing the uncensored ff variant. 2 89-90 fleer fasc, and my unopened vending case of ‘81 topps).
Right now, they’re all sitting on my shelf in my basement. Basement stays about 60-65 degrees year-round.
They’re not really on display for people to see, just stored in my basement. What I have doesn’t have any gum in it, but I also don’t want them affected by moisture, or “sweating” in the box, so are they ok sitting on the shelf in my cool basement?
Should I tote them up and put some desiccant in the tote? Any tips for environment control if they stay out? Thx in advance!

Comments

• thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Get Em out of the Basement! I have a Spare Room Closet that would be PERFECT for your storage! :D:D

YeeHaw!

Neil

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I always hear about great finds in storage units/garages/attics/basements... and often times the cards and/or unopened product are in "great shape". I get the gum issue, but wonder if there's a legit way to store something like a vending case? Wrapped in saran wrap, double boxed, wrapped in a blanket and tucked in a plastic tub?

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Should be fine to leave in the basement. Most boxes outside of OPC and Topps Super-Cello (1980-81) are pretty strong against the elements.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Esquire. What’s the issue with super cello and the elements? May need to move 2 of mine. Thanks.

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Esquire. What’s the issue with super cello and the elements? May need to move 2 of mine. Thanks.

It's the gum and it bleeding into the bottom of the cards... same with OPC.

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I would suggest keeping your unopened material in the same place you keep your cards

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

depending on where you are, dehumidifier in the basement.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Safe deposit box...

mint_only_pls