Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Number Grade or Not?

I'm torn about something very trivial. Curious how others feel.

Let's say you have a cool pack with your favorite player on top. It's not for resale, you intend to own it forever. Pack is in great shape. Top card is in great shape. You can't believe your luck!

You are going to get this pack graded because you want to ensure its authenticity. Suddenly you realize that PSA 10 packs are nearly impossible to get, and any number grade below a 10 here is going to be sort of a bummer. Do you...?

Number Grade or Not?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• GO FOR THE GOLD! GRAMMS SAY: THE ONLY CERTAINTY IS IF YOU DON'T TRY. IT FOR SURE WILL NEVER BE.
    CERTAINLY YOU DON'T FEAR THEY ARE FAKING PACKS? NO BALLS = NO BLUECHIPS
    NO GUTS = NO GLORY
    NO PAIN = NO GAIN

MEGA FEAR / NO REGRETS
                   THEN HOPE FOR THE BEST BUT EXPECT THE WORST.           

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 6:41AM

Sorry, I don't really understand your question.

If all you want to do is ensure authenticity, why would you care about the grade?

I have a couple of cellos with Killebrew on top. I will never sell them. No reason to grade them for me.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go get your PSA 8/9 grade and learn to cope with subjective labeling and also a searing angst that will never go away?

"A" means possibility of being altered. i'd rather have a psa 1, than a psa A.

(i dont think about what i'd want on the flip, i think about how my fam wont get screwed should i pass and being able to properly gauge it's value w/o my input)

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Sorry, I don't really understand your question.

If all you want to do is ensure authenticity, why would you care about the grade?

I have a couple of cellos with Killebrew on top. I will never sell them. No reason to grade them for me.

You did understand, and gave great advice - thx!

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    "A" means possibility of being altered. i'd rather have a psa 1, than a psa A.

(i dont think about what i'd want on the flip, i think about how my fam wont get screwed should i pass and being able to properly gauge it's value w/o my input)

Yeah the Authentic/Altered thing is worse, I agree. Thank you!!

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hecouldgo_alltheway said:
    CERTAINLY YOU DON'T FEAR THEY ARE FAKING PACKS?

Have no fear of that.

Thanks!
    -Jose