Home Sports Talk

NFL expanding season to 17 games in 2021

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NFL is planning on adding a 17th game to every team's schedule next season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/nfl-plans-to-expand-regular-season-to-17-games-per-team-in-2021

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

The greed of NFL owners knows no bounds.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 1:17PM

The owners are all getting filthy rich. Their pets eat better than me!

This means the Chiefs will play the Packers for their 17th game next season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kckingdom.com/2021/01/01/kc-chiefs-news-17th-game-2021-will-come-packers/amp/

And Jerry Jones. He doesn't need anymore money, he's already filthy rich. He rubs it in everyone's face, even the poor old pizza delivery boy!

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jerry Jones is a good man. His influence brought the Rams back to LA.

Anyone disparages him will answer to..

Jerry is out of control, he can't be tamed!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

the last 3 miami dolphins lobbied hard for this

Yes, and some of these rich NFL bigshots need some help with their grooming. Check out ex-Titans president Steve Underwood. This is his actual facial hair. He looks like a freakin seal.

edited January 3, 2021 5:02AM

🤔

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

free bowl of chicken noodle with every haircut!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 6:22AM

The season is long enough now. If they keep on, the schedule will be 32 games, start in July, end in March and the Super Bowl will be played by replacement players because all of the starters will be injured.

Here’s a thought. Maybe they could make it a 162 game schedule playing flag football for 30 minutes.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ridiculous. Trim the preseason to 2 games and leave everything else alone

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking outside the box.

How about changing the rules and have the game clock stop at the end of every play. Have the football players actually play for a full 60 minutes of action instead of 11 or 12 minutes like they do now.

If that happened the regular season could be shortened to 5 or 6 games; and each team could have 120 players on their roster.

😊

edited January 5, 2021 10:06AM

Just looked it up. Each NFL game involves about 11 minutes of actual play.

For a 16 game regular season that is less than 3 hours of actual playing time.

Use actual playing time to compute a player's annual salary per second of actual time running plays.

Then compute the per second salary for the time each player is actually running a play.

A fun exercise in math and a different way to view the pro game.

@SanctionII said:
    Just looked it up. Each NFL game involves about 11 minutes of actual play.

For a 16 game regular season that is less than 3 hours of actual playing time.

Use actual playing time to compute a player's annual salary per second of actual time running plays.

Then co.pute the per second salary for the time each player is actually running a play.

A fun exercise in math and a different way to view the pro game.

Nice analysis even though it’s waaaaaaaaaay too difficult for a guy like me to understand 🤷‍♂️

Perkdog.

Here is an example.

A qb earns 20 million dollars per year in salary.

Assuming the actual time running plays in a 16 game season is three hours the qb is paid about $1,851.00 per second.

If the qb is on the field for only half of the plays during the three hours, his per second pay for the time he is on the field doubles to about $3,702.00.

Math can be fun. :)

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

Jerry Jones is a bad man. His influence took the Chargers out of San Diego!

For that, may he ROT IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

@hammer1 said:

Jerry Jones is a bad man. His influence took the Chargers out of San Diego!

For that, may he ROT IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

As someone who loves the NFL, but is not a fan of either team, I want to say that I can sympathize and empathize with these situations. As some of you might know, but many might not, my Patriots were almost taken away.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/7/9/18662920/st-louis-stallions-new-england-patriots-relocation

I liked your comment @hammer1 because I am happy for you. And i also honestly feel really bad for you @SDSportsFan . As an outsider looking in, my wish was that we could have the LA Rams and the San Diego Chargers. And I know that there is a younger generation or two of fans who were very hurt by the loss of an NFL team from St Louis.

@SanctionII said:
    Perkdog.

Here is an example.

A qb earns 20 million dollars per year in salary.

Assuming the actual time running plays in a 16 game season is three hours the qb is paid about $1,851.00 per second.

If the qb is on the field for only half of the plays during the three hours, his per second pay for the time he is on the field doubles to about $3,702.00.

Math can be fun. :)

Thank you for the dissertation 👍👍🍻