Home Q & A Forum
Options

Question on non-design letters/numbers sometimes appearing on coins in the field or devices,

I have seen many graded coins that have letters/numbers/characters in unexpected locations on a coin that are not part of the design nor the devices. What do the graders say? I see scores of graded MS/PF coins with 'extra features' and oft times wonder about their origin.How do they get there and why? Thanks in advance, J

www.geocities.com/joemoris My Ebay and some personal goodies

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pareidolia

The tendency for incorrect perception of a stimulus as an object, pattern or meaning known to the observer, such as seeing shapes in clouds, seeing faces in inanimate objects or abstract patterns, or hearing hidden messages in music.

• Options
    joemorisjoemoris Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited December 10, 2020 9:18AM

So is that the official PCGS position then?

www.geocities.com/joemoris My Ebay and some personal goodies
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint does not randomly add extra letters or numbers to the coins. They are just stray marks that may appear to look like numbers to you. I would expect PCGS to treat them as they would any mark on the surface of a coin and grade it accordingly

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

What they said.

If you understand the minting process the incuse features on a coin would be caused by a raised feature on the die's surface. There can be no random features like that on a die.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a seance would help. Honey, where's my crazy 8 ball? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I'm seeing are spots and contact marks. Am I imagination challenged?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

That speck is so microscopic, it's the same as seeing objects in clouds. Our minds have grand imaginations!