Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Auction or BIN?

Any advice when to list something as an auction vs a BIN on eBay?

I have a lot of mid-grade PSA/BVG vintage football. Part of me just wants to auction it all, get what I can, and be done. Another part of me worries that since most aren't super hot cards, I'd end up selling them way under value if only a few people bid (plus eBay fees on top of that). Or do I send them all to COMCS, set my price, and just forget about them until they sell?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

What he said... ^^^ +1

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Unless its a very hot or popular card, listing anything for auction on ebay is asking to not get full value.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

You could list them all with BIN listings- with best offer if you are open to offers. Then see if there are a lot of views & or watchers. If you have watchers on the item, you could send them offers you’d be willing to take. Or if you have a lot of viewers/watchers you could put a card or two up for auction to see what happens. If you get a good price, you could place more auctions. If not, stick with the BINs.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

I would do bin/bo on them. Set an auto-accept price and an auto-decline price and check pay immediate with bin. I've found by having an auto-accept, 95% of the time the buyer pays right then when they see it's been accepted, so you bypass the waiting in-between messages/offers which could be days, which in turn just delays in you getting your money. Doing bin/bo might take 6 months to sell or get an offer you like, but at least you get out of them what you're looking for.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or, do an auction but set the opening price at a high starting point. There is no rule that says you have to start it at $0.99. You're not asking to not get full value if you start the bidding at a buy-it-now price you're comfortable with, and you may even get more than you're looking for that way too. If you like, you can add a best-offer feature to your auction listing too.

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Great ideas. Thanks!