Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's the max you would pay for a raw card online?

We've all been there - you buy a raw card online and it's got flaws that didn't show up in photos. Or it looks fine, so you send it to be graded, only to find out it was altered.

So what's the most you'd pay for a raw card you couldn't personally inspect?

Comments

• PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

eBay’s return policy is very buyer friendly and reduces the buyer’s risk significantly. That said, I’ve never bid more than $800 for a raw card.

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would anyone set a arbitrary max? If I find that I felt was authentic, and was at a price point that made sense for the condition, I'd by it. If in hand something wasn't right, back it goes.

If you only buy graded you are really missing out on deals. PSA isn't swamped with cards because there is a lack of quality raw in the market. Pop reports are growing all the time and those buying raw and submitting are doing well.

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

If the listing is accompanied by language like “PSA 10?????”, then $5.

• PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    If the listing is accompanied by language like “PSA 10?????”, then $5.

Or when you see the raw card listing sandwiched between a bunch of graded card listings. Like probstein and PWCC auctions. Dead giveaway that the raw card is altered, miscut, or minsizereq.

• I know I've paid $500 and would have paid 2-3x for that card without blinking regardless of condition.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I paid $1,650 recently for a raw card. Just completed a buy of a raw set for $2,500.

I let the cards do the talking. I am comfortable enough in my ability to assess condition and willing to take chances.

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    I paid $1,650 recently for a raw card. Just completed a buy of a raw set for $2,500.

I let the cards do the talking. I am comfortable enough in my ability to assess condition and willing to take chances.

Exactly, the people grading these cards are just humans. Been collecting for 30 years, not that hard to evaluate condition of a card.

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Exactly, the people grading these cards are just humans. Been collecting for 30 years, not that hard to evaluate condition of a card.

That's exactly why I would never buy a raw card. Too many times I've paid for what I thought was, say, a PSA 6 or 7 only to have it come back a 3. Or cards I didn't see were trimmed, that I send to get graded, and 7 months later when they finally come back, it's too late to return them through eBay.

I'd much rather just pay for the grade I want.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are buying on ebay, there really is no risk. you have 30 days to inspect and if the card is short or otherwise damaged in a way that was not disclosed, you can return

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

just to add. I do not mean to say that if a buyer sends in for grading and do not receive the grade they were hoping for a card could be returned. only if you inspect personally and are happy with the raw card.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless I’m working on a low to mid raw set to put in an album I wouldn’t buy a high priced raw card on eBay. Nothing wrong if you feel good about it but they have grading companies for a reason. JMO.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the others who have commented. Really depends on the situation. Lots of old school collectors have decided to cash out over the years and sold very nice raw cards. It can be a way to get a card you covet at a much more reasonable price. Of course if things look fishy they probably are. Obvious examples are things like a raw 52 topps mantle that comes up for sale where the guy says "no returns" "Im pretty sure it's real" "etc. etc."

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    If you are buying on ebay, there really is no risk. you have 30 days to inspect and if the card is short or otherwise damaged in a way that was not disclosed, you can return

If you're not confident in your ability to notice that sort of thing, like the poster you're responding to, then this isn't going to help. If you're sending in cards that you expect to be 6 or 7 that are coming back 3, then your inspection is't likely to help much.

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@craig44 said:

If you're not confident in your ability to notice that sort of thing, like the poster you're responding to, then this isn't going to help. If you're sending in cards that you expect to be 6 or 7 that are coming back 3, then your inspection is't likely to help much.

Not to turn this into a card grading thread, but here's a good example: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1046962/i-got-a-really-nice-pair-of-4s-show-me-yours#latest

I look at those two cards - good corners, nice color, I don't see any major defects other than the centerting - and I'd say the left one's a 5 and the right one's a 6. But they both got 4s.

Maybe I just don't understand the grades enough. But if I make that error when buying raw cards, it's a lot of money wasted.

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Depends on the card

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Why not? Where's the risk as a buyer? Ebay forces sellers to return if the buyer claims the card was not as described.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completed a near mint raw 61 Topps set years ago. I purchased many of the cards in lots but some of the harder ones I purchased individually. Several of these raw purchases I had to send back due to unseen flaws (trimmed, creasing, etc.). It was a bit of a hassle and waste of time on my part. I found it was easier to buy a PSA 7 and crack it out.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it really depends on who the seller is.

If the seller is a recognizable one who has been in the hobby for a long time, and is known to be reputable, then I'll pay more for a raw card.

If, on the other hand, I don't know the seller, and/or they have a questionable history, then I won't pay very much, if anything at all.

Steve

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    Why not? Where's the risk as a buyer? Ebay forces sellers to return if the buyer claims the card was not as described.

Less risk as a buyer, but why bother to take a chance. Some crooks might have figured out a way to keep your money.

What if there's no money in the sellers PayPal account and bank account it's linked to?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@billwaltonsbeard said:

Less risk as a buyer, but why bother to take a chance. Some crooks might have figured out a way to keep your money.

What if there's no money in the sellers PayPal account and bank account it's linked to?

Great idea!!! I'll do that next time I sell a big raw card

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@billwaltonsbeard said:

Great idea!!! I'll do that next time I sell a big raw card

To be fair, I should get a cut!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

$200