Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Portugal 1794 200 Reis inverted S at the end of VINCES

Strange thing happened earlier this evening. I was looking through one of my boxes and stopped to look at a 1794 200 Reis I picked up about two years ago. So in looking at the legend, I noticed that the S at the end of VINCES is inverted. I looked in my older Krause edition and nothing is there but there is a reference on the page basically stating varieties exist. I did attempt a search and VINCES appears as it should on the 1794 date.

Any Portugal experts here that can offer some thoughts? Sometimes it seems there is interesting stuff just waiting to be discovered.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the dies were individually punched with letter punches, I find it hard to imagine why a punch that would create an inverted S on a coin (i.e. straight S on the die) would exist.

I'd love to see an image of it.

• Unfortunately the coin (12 Vinténs - 240 reis) is a known contemporary counterfeit (brass with a silver "wash"), you can check the VMA files:

Jose

@josemartins said:
    Unfortunately the coin (12 Vinténs - 240 reis) is a known contemporary counterfeit (brass with a silver "wash"), you can check the VMA files:

Jose

Great resource - thank you for sharing it!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2020 1:01PM

thanks for the comments. I am unable to open what you provided. Is there any chance someone can post that image here?

Again- many thanks

Is there any market for contemporary counterfeits?

@coinkat said:
    thanks for the comments. I am unable to open what you provided. Is there any chance someone can post that image here?

Again- many thanks

Is there any market for contemporary counterfeits?

Not the easiest task on a phone, but here it is

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks... the S looks similar to the example I have. One strange thing is mine has that silver sound to it.