Home Metal Detecting

New hobby? Plus review of Bounty Hunter Dicovery 3300

ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 25, 2020 12:33PM in Metal Detecting

I was given a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 for Christmas last year, or the year before. It seems like a decent little metal dectetor, but have read reviews saying that you'll eventually become dissatisfied with the brand - not the 3300 in particular and want a replacement. I've read other reviews that it is a decent dectetor and that people like it.
Any experience and opinion with the 3300 will be appreciated. I am also new at this, so any suggestions on assessories? Lesche trowel and shovel ? Others?
I'm a bit older - so I'll be slower and less flexible. Suggestions? I've heard good things about Lesche and am also looking at the NX6 shovel made by those two diggers on TV (expensive, but I like the teeth and cleats).
Anything else I should have to start? I need some expertise - so this hobby may fit the bill. I gave up on golf a long time ago.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have a Bounty Hunter detector, but have heard some decent reports on them. Yes, the Lesche trowel is excellent... no idea on the NX6. Get a carpenters apron with pockets and a good pinpointer (Garrett) is a must.
    Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

Ordered the Garrett AT pro along with shovel and Lesche trowel. If they get me out of the house - it will be worth it!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

And get kneepads. Have fun. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

I agree with Roy (@Namvet69)... Kneepads are a must have item... Get good ones, your knees will thank you...Cheers, RickO

edited November 5, 2020 5:24AM

Decided to detect on a small property that started as a pre-revolutionary war tavern that was later converted to a small hotel (George Washington and Thomas Jefferson spent a night - both were not happy about their stay). It was a hotel during the civil war and burnt down in the late forties. A general merchandise store was then built on the site. Miserable digging. All kinds of broken grass and buried gravel. The good news is I found my first coin. The bad news it was a Lincoln cent.
    Of some interest was six spent J.C. Higgins shot gun shells. They were produced between 1908 & 1962 and were sold exclusively by Sears and Roebuck and Company. It was later determined that the owner/builder of the general merchandise store was previously a Sears and Roebuck employee. Go figure.
    So my count is rather slim
    1 Cent
    Square nail (old)
    6 spent shotgun shells
    1 pull tab
    A lot of building materials and other junk
    And a couple of u identified items.
    I may go back to detect some more or move onto another property (1800)

The good news is the the shovel, trowel and pinpointer all worked great. I'm still getting used to the detector - but it seems fine other than some difficulty with the ground balance.

@Exbrit... Seems like you are doing well...the finds will come.... there are far more fruitless hunts than big successes. However, when you do find real treasure, it makes up for all the effort. Good luck in future hunts.... Cheers, RickO

One thing I'll say about the Bounty Hunter is that they (company) are very good if something breaks or missing. I've dealt with them twice and outstanding support so far.

As for detecting - I'm still trying to figure out the signals. I am detecting in highly mineralized areas with a lot of buried stuff (square nails, trash, some hand forged items, plus). I've been using old maps to identify areas that are long gone from sight. 1700 and 1800s mostly.
    I may pick up a Vanquish 540 and compare the two for relic and coin hunting. Mostly relic.