Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

1862 Veazie Bank fractional 50 cents

I'm not finding any info on Veazie fractional scrip. I read the court case, plenty of banknotes to view. Anyone have statistical reference on the quantity of the fractional printing? Thanks. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Comments

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2020 6:57AM

I don't know of these records existing anywhere but it's possible. A typical printing run for a scrip issue like this was probably in the low thousands. Unfortunately these were not serial numbered which can give us a clue as to how many were printed.

Perhaps a better estimate of the number surviving example could be made based on the frequency of appearance.
    All of the fractional denominations appear with some regularity, the dollar denominations are much rarer. The later are high R6 to R7 notes with probably less than five of each known. The fractionals are more like R2-R3, with perhaps 50-100 of each denomination surviving and maybe several hundred for the four denominations.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore thanks for your input. Must have been a challenge for the federal banking system to get estabished. Every banknote reference I've checked only addressed full dollar amount Veazie banknotes. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fractionals should have been listed in Haxby as they list fractional denominations for many other banks. This is an issue that should have been corrected in subsequent editions but there haven't been any revised editions yet.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.