Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

The Man with the Golden Arm (1955 film) US currency - real or fake?

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 18, 2020 1:44PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

The 1955 film "Man with the Golden Arm" is about a former drug addict, played by Frank Sinatra, who tries to reform his life.

He works as a poker dealer and there are scenes of two poker games showing coins and US bills on the table.

The coins are real United States coins and I believe that the bills are real United States currency notes.

1. First poker game
On the table are $5 bills, lots of quarters (25 cent coins), and at least one half dollar.
The quarters above the $5 bills are of the Washington type obverse minted since 1932.

2. First poker game
On the table is a pile of $1 bills, some half dollars, and some quarters.
The half dollar reverse on the $1 bill appears to be of the Franklin type bell reverse minted since 1948.

3. Second poker game
On the table is a pile of bills, they are $20 bills (a few), $50 bills, and $100 bills.

There was a US Treasury Department regulation which prohibited motion pictures from showing real money which was repealed in 1960.

What do you think - real or fake?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

I think if Frank wanted real money Frank got real money. Mafioso 101.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

that $5 bill looks like a silver certificate. whats all say?

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2020 5:26PM

They sure look genuine to me, and what would have been in circulation during the 1950s.

It looks like a violation of the law but these images are too indistinct to be used for counterfeiting purposes, which the law seeks to prevent.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

And just think ... it was really like that.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm chuckling over the drawstring bag with notes spilling out on the table. Is that the house bank? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52