Home Metal Detecting

My special find of the week -reminds me of Annie Oakley

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

First some history on this type of "Target"
https://youtu.be/NRBme2dlm3A

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyway, this is what I found, 8" deep.
    I believe this particular one was used by Remington to demonstrate/promote the accuracy of their rifles and the power of their KleanBore Ammo.
    What better way than to hit a Half Dollar sized 'coin' at 100 yards. :)

As found:
    Cleaned up:

Obverse:

Reverse:

The Obv. says: "SHOT WITH REMINGTON RIFLE" and has a capital "A" in the center.
    The Rev. says: "SHOT WITH REMINGTON CARTRIDGE" and says "KLEANBORE" IN THE CENTER.

I believe Remington UMC started using the "Kleanbore" trademark in 1926.

Anyway, I hope everyone is well and has a wonderful day.
    I gotta get back to work. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, IMO, that depression could be an impact mark from a 22 short. Readings indicate it's brass, they were hung on a board for her to shoot at. Did you dig it up? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

And a side view:

The entry hole is 0.35" and the exit hole is 0.375/0.385.

Perhaps it was

The 0.35 Remmington:?

While the .35 Remington was extremely popular when first introduced in the early 1900s, the cartridge has fallen out of mainstream use in recent years. A loyal segment of hunters and shooters still use the cartridge, but most other hunters pass by the .35 Remington in favor of modern cartridges with more impressive ballistics on paper.

In my opinion, that is a big mistake.

The .35 Remington initially found favor among hunters seeking a good “brush bullet” and many deer, bear, elk, and even moose have fallen to the .35 Remington over the years. Don’t be fooled by it’s somewhat anemic looking ballistics on paper when compared to newer cartridges sporting fancy pointed tips and blazing fast velocities.

Those same characteristics that made the .35 Remington such an effective choice on really large animals during the 20th Century still ring true today. It never has been and never will be a good long range cartridge, but if anything, modern loadings using high quality bullets have further improved the performance of the .35 Remington on big game at short to moderate range.

@Namvet69 said:
    Interesting, IMO, that depression could be an impact mark from a 22 short. Readings indicate it's brass, they were hung on a board for her to shoot at. Did you dig it up? Peace Roy

The first post was some history, the one with the bullet hole clean through is the one that I dug up.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an interesting find and certainly fits with the history you posted. Cheers, RickO

@Namvet69 said:

they were hung on a board for her to shoot at.

That's possible but I have read that those were the 'coins' that her marksman husband would toss in the air for her to shoot and then she would give them to audience members and they would later drill a hole to wear them as a necklace.