Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

A curious question ~ would you rather have your favorite RC ex. '52 Mantle Topps in GEM MINT 10.....

A curious question ~ would you rather have your favorite RC ex. '52 Mantle Topps in GEM MINT 10.....

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or a plain GEM MINT 10 without an autograph whatsoever...?

Absolutely no autograph for me. I would get a lesser condition one with the auto.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect signed cards, but if it was a vintage dime I’d want it unsigned. I also despise autos on cards that already have a facsimile sig.

Btw, the 52 Topps Mantle is not a RC.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2020 7:39AM
    With a PSA/DNA 10/10 ~a gorgeous Autograph over the sweet spot?

I'd go for rarity.... a high grade with the auto is my cup of tea.... though I'd have to say I think the straight GEM Mint 10 would sell for more and be more marketable IMO.

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve never bought an auto. Those relatively few in my collection were obtained in person.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen too many autographed Jordan Fleer rookies where the auto gets "lost" to the background and they really don't standout. I'd rather have nice centered copy of his 86 Fleer sticker signed instead.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an auto'd card guy and unless there is no other option, I don't care to add terribly damaged, signed cards to my collection. That said, I think a vintage PSA 10 auto rookie would be a bit of a bummer. I would prefer to keep cards that nice unsigned. I think that PSA 6-7 equivalents are my sweet spot for condition on signed cards. They still present very well, are a fraction of the cost of higher grades, and have populations in which there is no concern of permanently removing a pristine card from the overall collector base to get signed.

But removing any of the issues above, I would go with the signed card. Like I said, I collect signed cards. But I figure that as long as I have the money, I can go out most every day and buy the card I need. But finding a signed example is more of a challenge. Of course finding vintage PSA 10s is not easy either, so maybe it's a moot point.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Auto version every time.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭
    With a PSA/DNA 10/10 ~a gorgeous Autograph over the sweet spot?

@MLBdays said:
    Speaking of this topic~ WOW

That's a beauty

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2020 8:38PM

Why be greedy?