Home U.S. Coin Forum

1909 VDB with interesting look

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this a while ago because I thought it looked interesting and different from the usual smooth cartwheel. It's a "Bandera Bank Hoard" coin with just an uncirculated designation on the holder
I know the glare is terrible but I'm not trying to show details, just the way it looks moving it in the light
https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4559091-002/60/
I don't know, what do you think?
https://youtu.be/-as_X9ABlyQ

https://youtu.be/RHeS-4UfTd0

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look brighter and less mellowed out than most VDBs.
    Do you think it has been cleaned?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does appear to have rough fields, but that is all I can really see in the video. Cheers, RickO

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it has been cleaned, at least not in any sort of abrasive way.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to have that granular-surfaces appearance. I had one a little like it, for comparison.
    Lance.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wide rims and mirrored edges will confirm. I have a PCGS PR65 1913 Var 1 Buff that was once in an NGC MS65 slab so it does happen.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2020 3:16PM

I wonder if it is a proof struck from mint state dies.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a possibility, as it was likely that, instead of being discarded, proof dies were used to strike circulation coins once they were no longer fit to strike proofs.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Wide rims and mirrored edges will confirm. I have a PCGS PR65 1913 Var 1 Buff that was once in an NGC MS65 slab so it does happen.

Based on what I can see, nothing about the coin makes me think Proof.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@koynekwest said:

Based on what I can see, nothing about the coin makes me think Proof.

It's not. Has none of the die markers and the dot is in the wrong place. I just think it looks interesting and I like it. I have not seen others that look the same.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me like it also. What's the date that it was slabbed? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file