Home U.S. Coin Forum

Buffalo Nickel Cancelled die

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever run across a Buffalo Nickel Cancelled die? Not a cancellation die. Are they available. I've never seen one for sale. Are they even legal to own?
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard of cancelled dies but what's a "cancellation die"?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what a 'cancellation die' is.... and I have not heard of anyone having a Buffalo nickel cancelled die...though they probably exist. Cheers, RickO

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess the difference being a die that is defaced so that it can't be used is a cancelled die and a die that is waffled then used to stamp a coin to deface the coin is a cancellation die. Here is a link to a CoinWorld article in that regards. Perhaps I read it wrong.
    Jim

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/canceled-dies-and-cancellation-dies-are-entirely-different.html

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

But are any available? I have never seen one for sale.
    Jim

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

a cancellation is what I do to the subscription to a magazine that I no longer want

Frank

BHNC #203

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never heard of one but I'd love to see one if they exist. What an addition to a Buffalo nickel collection THAT would be!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2020 5:13PM

With all due respect to the author, who is well respected in his field, the article is a bit of a mess. He specifically explains what a "cancelled die" is but stops short of explaining what he refers to as a "cancellation die".

I think it is this way:

• a cancelled die is a die used to strike coins that has been defaced/cancelled. If an unofficial coin is struck from these dies it will obviously show the defacement.

• a cancellation die is a die (more likely a roller) that is used to "waffle" or otherwise deface defective cons.

It is just confusion that was unnecessarily inserted into the article.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just plain wrong. The waffle cancelation machine is a big drum. Using a die is crazy because you would have to feed the coins 1 x 1... the drum can feed from a hopper, just pour and be done.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't personally know the procedure involved with how Buff dies were retired, or the sequence involved with their destruction.

What I do know is that used dies were cataloged and shipped back to the Philadelphia Mint.

Presumably, the die steel was destroyed by remelting it to make new dies.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen cancelled mercury dime dies, and I own a couple defaced wheat cent dies and early Jefferson nickel dies, but I’ve never seen a canceled buffalo nickel die.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file