Home Sports Talk

Chargers announce end of Philip Rivers era

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Chargers have announced that the Philip Rivers era has come to an end, and Rivers will be entering free agency and will not return to the team in 2020.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

He had a decent run as their QB, bringing them to the playoffs enough times but just could never get them to that next level.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

He had some good seasons, but I certainly never thought he was an elite quarterback in the league. He never could get past the Pats in the playoffs. Tom Brady always made Philip Rivers hold his pocket.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew the news of Philip Rivers leaving the Chargers would cause some kind of drama.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i can totally envision my team scrapping the Trubisky experiment and deciding to load up the dinero truck for a 38-yr-old QB who looks 91 in the pocket

yeah, sounds about right

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked him as a player and a competitor. IMO, he is also a good family man.

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

Family man for sure. 16 years in the NFL----- 9 kids aged between 16 and almost 1 year old.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is a great family man and probably great person as well but on the field come playoff time he is a crybaby.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Always liked RIVERS as a QB. Fiery Competitor, stand up guy, good solid citizen. He seemed to have an odd throwing motion that got him in trouble from time to time, especially in the playoffs. Always seemed to have good WR's as well, but as it was said earlier, could never get the W in the big games. Watched him several games last year; I thought he was done. To me I didn't think the arm strength was there any more and he was never fleet of foot to start with.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never thought he was that great. And he was the biggest cry baby in the NFL.