Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Analysis of my Kansas City IPMS and Chicago ANA Exhibit

Hi Folks - I was originally going to post this thread in the Paper Money Forum but, since they changed their website and a troglodyte like me who just uses a laptop and can't navigate around it anymore, it looks like I'm back here on a regular basis.

Anyway, many of you know I've been a collector of Serial #1 Nationals from New York State for quite a while and, after a few trial runs, I put together an exhibit of some of my #1's for this past June's IPMS in Kansas City and, as you can see, I did OK:

Then, after incorporating a few suggestions from a couple of the real "professional" exhibitors, I put the exhibit together for the big ANA show in Chicago in August and here's how we did:

Needless to say, I was absolutely thrilled with an overall 2nd Place finish considering I was going up against over 50 other Exhibitors with a paper money exhibit at the big round-metal-disk show. (I was beaten out for 1st Place by an ancient Roman coin exhibit). Along with numerous nice compliments about the exhibit, I also was asked some questions. For instance, how long did it take to put this together? (Decades). Another question was where did I find all these notes? So, I sat down and went through my records and here's what I came up with. There were 23 #1's in the exhibit - 20 large-size, 2 small-size, and 1 uncut small-size sheet and here's where they came from:

Heritage Auctions - 4

Lyn Knight Auctions - 1

Manifest Auctions - 1

Stacks and StacksBowers Auctions - 6

Private Collector Transactions - 2

Private Dealer Transactions - 9

Now, I didn't analyze where my other #1's came from (that's another 50 or so notes) but the pattern is probably about the same. Just some food for thought as to where the "good stuff" can be found (at least as far as #1 Nationals are concerned).

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on this achievement and thank you for representing us currency folks so well in the world of round, metallic discs.

Thanks for the source analysis, too. Is there a trend towards less private transactions and more auction transactions or is this remaining fairly constant?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a great achievement!

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Bob...your collection is truly remarkable.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

Nicely done!!

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations @2ndCharter!

Your hard work and an obvious eye for detail is truly being acknowledged.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! It’s was very exciting to see the collection in person.