Home Sports Talk

MLB going to experiment with stealing 1st base in the Atlantic League before rolling it out into MLB

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be interesting. I've got my beer ready.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not really up for implementing something like this after over a century of play

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently attended an Atlantic league game where balls and strikes were made by computerised transmission to the plate umpwho then acted out the call. It seemed like a charade to me. Also the bases were increased in size by 40 percent which factored into a play at third with one runner in a rundown to the plate and a runner advanced from second and occupied third.
    The runner beat the tag at the plate but confusion ensued. I'm not a fan of all this stuff. I rarely watch the games these days. I believe it is the greatest game ever invented but I abhor what it has become. Just Mho.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just too silly. Better suited for an April Fool's joke.

Why not make one pitch that isn't a strike, IE one "ball"...and the batter goes to first base. Then there are lots of runners, and baseball game scores can emulate football game scores, maybe even basketball game scores. So there is lots of action, and everyone has lots and lots of fun.

Maybe then the fans won't notice the nets as much. 🙄

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave the game alone...PLEASE!

They said the reason they were doing this, was to add excitement to the game, or to give the game more action.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    They said the reason they were doing this, was to add excitement to the game, or to give the game more action.

Juiced balls are not working?

They should just let a drunk onto the field. That's always action packed.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about "Free Substitution". You can bring anybody in and out of the game as many times as wanted. Also you can change the order of the line up as often as wanted...you can even have the same batter bat twice in a row if wanted. Plus each team has to play somebody from the stands for 1 inning. The opposite manager gets to pick this person.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm OK with a lot of the ideas they want to try in the Atlantic League - automated strike calls and the like - but this is not one I like. Stealing first is just... no.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    Im actually kinda intrigued how it could force pitchers into Fastballs to avoid breaking ball and off speed debacles.... really brings a few things into play. We shall see.

This seems to be the point, and it would increase runs an order of magnitude. Terrible, horrible, awful idea.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm kinda looking forward to the all robot Atlantic League.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like tall players dominate basketball and nobody complains, who in this day and age is going to deny little people their right to play MLB, as was denied to Eddie Gaedel after just one at bat.

Teams could strategically use little people to bat in situations when a walk or more could help win the game.

Grossly fat people could be used as batters in which even though they are properly in the batters box, their belly hangs over home plate, making it near impossible for the pitcher not to either walk them or hit them, and then a pinch runner could be used.

Scantily clad women could also be used as batters to distract the pitcher into throwing balls, walking the woman. She could even stay on the base paths and distract the fielders into making all sorts of errors, resulting in more runs and greater enjoyment for the fans.