Home Sports Talk

1974 World Series will never, ever, be equaled. Ever again.

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

A's 3 Dodgers 2
Dodgers 3 A's 2
A's 3 Dodgers 2
A's 5 Dodgers 2
A's 3 Dodgers 2

Of the five games, four of them ended 3 to 2. Of all the games, the losing team had the same amount of runs.

And for all you little red machine fans out there....................

Holtzman 1-0 1.50 era
Hunter 1-0 1.17 era
Fingers 1-0 1.93 era

DOMINANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 76 Reds beat the 74 A's no problem.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2019 4:29PM

Only thing I will say that is against it is it was almost a sweep. A 7 game series is pretty hard to beat in my opinion, especially compared to a 4-1 series win

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm biased because my team won, but the 2011 WS was about as dramatic as you can get, and game 6 may be the most exciting game ever played. I don't think any losing team's fans have had their hearts ripped out as completely as the Rangers fans. (Well, there was the farce of a WS in 1985, but it's a stretch to even call that a WS - sort of like 1919 - let alone the best).

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2019 5:05PM

Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. It gets no better than that. The New York Yankees going for their 4th straight World Series, and their 5th since 1996. It comes down to the Dbacks best hitter vs the best closer of all time. Luis Gonzalez vs Mariano Rivera. Bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, for the championship. Luis hits a walk off single in Arizona to win it all. Thats the stuff all kids dream of when they're playing baseball in the backyard. It just gets no better than that. That New York Yankees dynasty was maybe the greatest of all time. For that dynasty to end like that was insane.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

1991 game 7 was pretty good. The entire series was a fine one!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. It gets no better than that. The New York Yankees going for their 4th straight World Series, and their 5th since 1996. It comes down to the Dbacks best hitter vs the best closer of all time. Luis Gonzalez vs Mariano Rivera. Bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, for the championship. Luis hits a walk off single in Arizona to win it all. Thats the stuff all kids dream of when they're playing baseball in the backyard. It just gets no better than that. That New York Yankees dynasty was maybe the greatest of all time. For that dynasty to end like that was insane.

One of the VERY few times Rivera didn't get it done.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2019 6:45PM

How about the 1960 World Series, including the 7th game, which was one of the best games ever?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Ah yes, the season in which Luis Gonzalez had 26 more HR than his second highest total. 🙄

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@doubledragon said:

Ah yes, the season in which Luis Gonzalez had 26 more HR than his second highest total. 🙄

I remember his post game interview and saw his extension cord size veins and was thinking how obvious it was he was juiced up

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, steroids use takes a toll on the body. Just look what steroids have done to Luis over the years.

Luis in 2001.....

Luis today.....

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

2016 was pretty good with the two clubs enduring the longest "Championship drought" in MLB playing each other in the year when everyone was a Cubs fan!!! the Cubbies come back from down 3-1 to win three, but not before a little 8-9-10th inning drama in game seven with an HR off Aroldis Chapman's 100mph fastball to tie it in the eighth with three runs.

how does it get any better than that???

1974 World Series will never, ever, be equaled. Ever again. never say never, unless you want someone to say "Huh?"

what about the 1995 World Series??
    Game Date Score
    1 October 21 Atlanta Braves – 3, Cleveland Indians – 2.
    2 October 22 Atlanta Braves – 4, Cleveland Indians – 3.
    3 October 24 Cleveland Indians – 7, Atlanta Braves – 6, (11 innings).
    4 October 25 Atlanta Braves – 5, Cleveland Indians – 2.
    5 October 26 Cleveland Indians – 5, Atlanta Braves – 4.
    6 October 28 Atlanta Braves – 1, Cleveland Indians – 0.

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2019 3:40PM

1986 game 6. Mookie Wilson's grounder through Buckners legs. On to game 7 Mets win. We were at Shea for the seventh.
    Wife learned two lessons.
    It ain't over till it's over and
    Oh ye of little faith. Lol.
    Btw she is an avid baseball fan today.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 9:47AM

Is this the right place to discuss the 1990 World Series? B)

Even with all their juicers, the A's couldn't win a single game.

ETA: Ouch :#
    Oakland Athletics – 0, Cincinnati Reds – 7
    Oakland Athletics – 4, Cincinnati Reds – 5 (10 innings)
    Cincinnati Reds – 8, Oakland Athletics – 3
    Cincinnati Reds – 2, Oakland Athletics – 1

Is this the right place to discuss the 1990 World Series?

I would say Oakland went to Cincinnatl and got punched in the mouth, recovered from the blow and got up off the mat in Oakland, only to get punched in the mouth again. they never got back up!!! >:)

I remember those A's Teams, they were freakin' loaded!!! led by Rickey Henderson who went from a base stealer to a home-run hitting base stealer, they dominated with McGuire and Canseco with steller pitching. beating them as easily as the Reds did reminds me of the Willie Mays led Giants disposing of the Indians in 1954.

@1970s said:
    Reds team batting average .209

@LarkinCollector said:

It is. It's also the place to discuss that this 1990 Reds team finished in 5th out of 6 places in the National League the following year, in 1991.

The 1972 Oakland team spent the next two years punching the Dodgers and Mets in the face, while your 1990 Reds team spent the entire next season getting b*tched slapped by pretty much every national league team. Thank you sir, may I please have another.

Sincerely,
    The little red machine

That Oakland would allow themselves to be bullied by such a weak team tells you all you need to know.

Reds > "Athletics"

It's also the place to discuss that this 1990 Reds team finished in 5th out of 6 places in the National League the following year, in 1991.

that's funny, I thought we were talking about a simple assertion --- the 1974 World Series will never, ever, be equaled. Ever again. sticking to that point, what does anything that happened outside of that narrow scope have to do with defending that statement??

the 1995 World Series, the 2016 World Series and the 1990 World Series all look pretty competitive to me. I can understand that you want to be right, after all, it's your thread. at least be open-minded about it.

edited July 17, 2019 11:00AM

@1970s said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@1970s said:

@LarkinCollector said:

It is. It's also the place to discuss that this 1990 Reds team finished in 5th out of 6 places in the National League the following year, in 1991.

The 1972 Oakland team spent the next two years punching the Dodgers and Mets in the face, while your 1990 Reds team spent the entire next season getting b*tched slapped by pretty much every national league team. Thank you sir, may I please have another.

Sincerely,
    The little red machine

That Oakland would allow themselves to be bullied by such a weak team tells you all you need to know.

Reds > "Athletics"

LOL. Let's see here. The 1989 World Series Champion Oakland A's beat the Giants 4 games to 0. That same A's team made it to the World Series the following year.

The 1990 Reds team won the world series. The next year they almost finished in last place, getting b*tch slapped by too many teams to mention. They would continue to call the Atlanta Braves their daddy for the remainder of the decade.

Now. What did you say about your Reds team ? I forgot already.

The A's sucked unbelievably awful if they couldn't win a single game when it mattered against a team as bad as the Reds.

@1970s said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@1970s said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@1970s said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Sincerely,
    The little red machine

Reds > "Athletics"

LOL. Let's see here. The 1989 World Series Champion Oakland A's beat the Giants 4 games to 0. That same A's team made it to the World Series the following year.

The 1990 Reds team won the world series. The next year they almost finished in last place, getting b*tch slapped by too many teams to mention. They would continue to call the Atlanta Braves their daddy for the remainder of the decade.

Now. What did you say about your Reds team ? I forgot already.

The A's sucked unbelievably awful if they couldn't win a single game when it mattered against a team as bad as the Reds.

No. The A's would have sucked unbelievably awful if they finished in 5th place the next season after winning the World Series. Problem is, they didn't.

They choked like Mike Schmidt when it mattered.

Hmmm, I wonder which team has a more recent World Series win?

Reds are riding a 9 game World Series win streak. A's have 4 game losing streak. The A's choke when it matters, much like a 3rd baseman you so love to disparage, while the Reds step up to the challenge.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 3:37AM

@LarkinCollector said:

WOW, a complete ass whipping. Just like the 76 series.

A's got whipped against a mediocre 88 Dodgers team as well.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 5:34AM

@1970s said:

@garnettstyle said:

@LarkinCollector said:

WOW, a complete ass whipping. Just like the 76 series.

A's got whipped against a mediocre 88 Dodgers team as well.

Just wait for your meds to kick in. With the little red machine sitting in last place right now, I know how hard life is for people in your city. Anxiety, fear, depression, hopelessness, just can't get out of bed. All classic symptoms of a people who can't seem to find a way out of their misery.

On the other hand, year after year, the Oakland A's are knocking on the postseason door, even though we can't afford to keep our great players. We eventually have to sell them off to richer teams who can outspend us, but all we do is reach into our minor leagues to bring up new studs who take us right back up top.

One may say that the Oakland A's have the best scouting staff in major league baseball, and the best minor league development program. Just think of all the great players we've produced over the years. Sadly, we can't say that about WKRP.

They haven't won anything since the 80"s. Nothing to brag about.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED