Home Sports Talk

Favorite tennis players / matches.

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't watch tennis anymore, but I always enjoyed watching John McEnroe play Jimmy Connors or
Bjorn Borg. Always rooted for Chris Everett too. Wasn't a big Martina fan. Guys who came along like Sampras and the others didn't excite me. It was just a phase I guess, or Johnny Mac was just that entertaining.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed Federer and Nadal at Wimbledon in 2008. John Mcenroe called it the greatest match he's ever seen. I recall Rafeal Nadal being up 2 sets to 0. Federer clawed his way back, but Nafal finally put him away. I remember Nadal snacking on a banana during the rain delays.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jimmy Conners, cool dude, HOT wife.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

@doubledragon said:
    I enjoyed Federer and Nadal at Wimbledon in 2008. John Mcenroe called it the greatest match he's ever seen. I recall Rafeal Nadal being up 2 sets to 0. Federer clawed his way back, but Nafal finally put him away. I remember Nadal snacking on a banana during the rain delays.

Must have been some match, because I remember McEnroe-Bjorg playing a 15-13 tiebreaker in one final. I think tie breakers end at 7 ?

Federer vs Nadal was a great match, but personally I don't think it was the greatest match ever. I think John Mcenroe over exaggerated a little when he said it was the greatest he'd ever seen.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

McEnroe and Connors got me hooked on the sport. Those two were involved in some of the greatest matches ever. 1980 Wimbledon final Borg vs McEnroe and the 1982 Wimbledon final between McEnroe and Connors that lasted over 4 hrs in which Connors won in 5 sets.

Over the years, Agassi was fun to watch. He was followed like a rock star. Was also a fan of Mats Wilander. His game was almost identical to Borgs.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love watching Woman’s tennis for the simple fact that I love woman athletes

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    Over the years, Agassi was fun to watch. He was followed like a rock star. Was also a fan of Mats Wilander. His game was almost identical to Borgs.

Ditto on Wilander. He was awesome in 1988, winning three Grand Slams.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Martina and whomever her opponent was.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2019 6:23PM

Certainly more contact than the current NFL.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Borg, Connors and McEnroe, for me, was always "Must-See-TV". I also liked Agassi.

On the women's side, my favorite is Steffi Graf. I also liked to watch Chris Evert, Martina Hingis, Monica Seles, Kim Clijsters, Maria Sharapova.

Steve

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Over the years some of the best played tennis I have watched came from the Nadal vs. Djokovic matches. They seem to bring out the best in each other the same way matches featuring Borg/McEnroe or McEnroe/Connors.
    Two other players that were a lot of fun to watch in their prime were Stan Wawrinka and Fernando Gonzalez. Both guys could hit some incredible forehand and backhand winners while on the run from 8 feet behind the behind the baseline.

Ilie Nastase played some entertaining matches through the years. He also is quoted as saying "I didn't report my credit card stolen to the police because whoever has it spends less that my wife does."

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Federer was awesome this year at Wimbledon. Especially for a 38 year old! ;)