Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Lost 500 louis oosthuizen 2012 spa golf authentic rookie sigs pics and videos added

Anyone know what these are ? The two cards are in a set size box each. I have no access to see inside as of yet.

is there value for cards like this ? are these released yet ?

I know nothing about golf but one is web simpson ? the other ?

Comments

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Appear to be leftover UD cards that were intended for autographs. Not sure either were issued as presented.
  • I got these but I will have to wait to see whats inside the boxes ,

is there value to them ?
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Upper Deck (and most companies) send athletes and signers from all sports and events an example card as to where they'd like the autograph to be placed. Otherwise, you end up with autographs over faces, or in poor position to be read.

I think these may be boxes of either signed or unsigned cards from the actually UD sit down event.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Although, maybe they're just recycled boxes from a signing event used to hold other cards.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I rec'd these cards from a former Ripken Baseball employee who was involved with securing Cal's autograph on manufacturer's cards (in this case 2007 UD); Upper Deck even included the pen to be used:

[URL=http://s88.photobucket.com/user/whhp72/media/Misc Ripken/1jete.jpg.html]image[/URL]

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know what these are ? The two cards are in a set size box each. I have no access to see inside as of yet.

is there value for cards like this ? are these released yet ?

I know nothing about golf but one is web simpson ? the other ?
    >>

Agree with others, likely from a signing event. Value-wise, a lot of the actual autographed cards go for $1-5 with the exception of short-prints and major stars (Tiger, Nicklaus, Palmer). I'd be interested for the novelty, but wouldn't expect a lot of money for them. If you have better resolution pics, I can probably give you the year/set.
  • would these be insert cards ? The one on the left looks like its numbered ?
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    those are awesome, would like to see more pics when they arrive.

<< <i>Wild these be insert cards ? The one on the left looks like its numbered ? >>

Yes, base UD, SP & SP Auth all had numbered inserts for autos/swatches in most sets 2001-current, but would have the actual auto and not a 'sign here'. My guess, it's probably numbered 'XXX' as a sample/proof.

• << <i>I rec'd these cards from a former Ripken Baseball employee who was involved with securing Cal's autograph on manufacturer's cards (in this case 2007 UD); Upper Deck even included the pen to be used:

[URL=http://s88.photobucket.com/user/whhp72/media/Misc Ripken/1jete.jpg.html]image[/URL]

IMF >>

VERY COOL!
  • I believe the card on the right is this one

link

does anyone know the name of the other golfer ?

it comes from the following series , but I do not know the golfers name , it looks almost like kyle ?
    link

<< <i>I believe the card on the right is this one

link

does anyone know the name of the other golfer ?

it comes from the following series , but I do not know the golfers name , it looks almost like kyle ?
    link >>

Correct on Webb, I think the second is Charl Schwartzel. There's a Kyle Stanley in the set as well.
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I believe these are the boxes sent to the athlete to sign for UD. The top card is instructions for the athlete.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • the top cards on the box ended up being photo copy lmao !

• ok so here is the story. The boxes just had a photo copy of each card on top of it. Inside the boxes though were a different story

the box on the right had the missing 500 LOUIS OOSTHUIZEN 2012 SPA GOLF AUTHENTIC ROOKIE SIGS that is written about here

link to missing Louis Oosthuizen

I guess the cards were lost and never signed according to upper deck but they were signed and I have them. they were lost an insurance claim was paid and recovered and since I paid the claims it was sent to me by the postal courier

the box on the left had all the Charl Schwartzel. rookie limited rookie cards number 1-100 none were signed though and they were never released to the public.

any thoughts ?

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting position to be in. You control the market on those 2 cards. If you don't care, you could dump them (sell) to someone else. I suspect at some point, if you don't take advantage, someone else will though. If that golfer is any good and his autographs are desirable, you could be sitting on a small fortune, as it is otherwise an unreleased card that can no be released in small quantities as you see fit. imagine what that would be worth if it were a seriously popular player that was heavily collected.

You could also look at trying to contact UD and explain that you have them and see if they have thoughts on what the best use for them would be. I suppose you are legally the owner now, so they have no recourse to get them back should you decide that what they think is a bunch of crap. They may have no interest in them or perhaps they might want them destroyed? Who knows.

I guess if it were me, I'd offer for sale one at a time and see what happened. If there is little interest, maybe you dump them and move on. If the market goes crazy for them, you can really make some money for a while until the demand dies off.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • yes I was thinking the Charl Schwartzel might be worth the most for all of them to be sold as a collectible, I do not know of many instances of such things .

to bad they were not Tiger Woods or something or another sport. Imagine the possibilities lol .

They're both good golfers (each has won a major), but aren't the most popular unless you find a big fan of South African golfers. Oost's other auto cards from that set are selling for $8-20 each, so I would guess you could get some premium above that for the unreleased autos. The market typically dies down considerably about 2 years after the initial Leaf & SP releases as those interested have typically completed their master sets by then and the market is pretty thin.

I would be interested in one of the Oost autos and a Schwartzel if you decide to part with any or all of them.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ok so here is the story. The boxes just had a photo copy of each card on top of it. Inside the boxes though were a different story

the box on the right had the missing 500 LOUIS OOSTHUIZEN 2012 SPA GOLF AUTHENTIC ROOKIE SIGS that is written about here

I guess the cards were lost and never signed according to upper deck but they were signed and I have them. they were lost an insurance claim was paid and recovered and since I paid the claims it was sent to me by the postal courier

the box on the left had all the Charl Schwartzel. rookie limited rookie cards number 1-100 none were signed though and they were never released to the public.

any thoughts ? >>

Very interesting scenario. UD filed the claim under the impression they were unsigned but since they were, wouldn't that change the insurance proceeds? I'd hold off any sale until you get all of your Is dotted and Ts crossed.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    OK, just finished reading the blowout link. The /699s are currently selling at a premium since they're viewed as a SP with 500 of them missing. You could release slowly and try to keep that price propped up, but it's likely that they will keep going down with each sale. They're currently selling at or more than the /100s, but would likely go down to the $8ish price of the SOTT autos if known they are all available.

• << <i>

<< <i>ok so here is the story. The boxes just had a photo copy of each card on top of it. Inside the boxes though were a different story

any thoughts ? >>

no when you use a shipping courier you are agreeing to their terms of service which includes salvage rules. Insurance is paid before item being shipped not when lost. You are giving your rights up to the items you ship as soon as you put a label on the package and ship it out.

Its the same as if your car is stolen once the insurance company pays for the car its theirs. You do not get it back or have any rights to it if its found.

• So how did the OP end up with them? We're not going to see this on Baggage Battles are we? image
  • haha yes exactly like that we pay claims for dead mail for couriers.

We get tens of thousands of products all the time, plus tons of lost submissions to psa
  • I am selling the Louis cards as a group
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no when you use a shipping courier you are agreeing to their terms of service which includes salvage rules. Insurance is paid before item being shipped not when lost. You are giving your rights up to the items you ship as soon as you put a label on the package and ship it out.

Its the same as if your car is stolen once the insurance company pays for the car its theirs. You do not get it back or have any rights to it if its found. >>

Was this addressed to my question?

I didn't mean to imply if you are the rightful owner or not. I was asking in regards to the insurance proceeds. Was it $X regardless if the cards were autographed? In other words, it was a set payout and the value couldn't change. If that's the case, then no worries but if not, then it's something to think about.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • here are pics of the other cards

the modern day Honus Wagner situation with these. lol

Finally snagged one from this find ...

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

LarkinCollector, you are to golf cards, what lawnmowerman is to Emmitt Smith cards.

Looks like UD either bought some of this find back and added hand numbering or reprinted/re-auto'd and issued these in 2014 SP Auth (note the 2014 copyright on the COA) ...

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

So there are 699 made, but only 299 signed?

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice the lost cards are signed in black and the new one hand numbered is signed in blue.

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

@cjaccardi said:
    haha yes exactly like that we pay claims for dead mail for couriers.

We get tens of thousands of products all the time, plus tons of lost submissions to psa

Just out of curiosity about the tons of lost psa submissions you receive. Do you attempt to contact the original submitter? At that point they would have received the money from the insurance claim, and of course the cards then legally belong to you, but I would imagine the vast majority of those original owners would much prefer to get their cards back rather than the insurance money. The PSA submissions would have been accompanied with PSA submission forms with all the owner’s contact info. If these things are lost by the PO and then “sold” to you by means of you paying the insurance claim I don’t understand why there’s no system in place to attempt to get reunite these lost packages with the original owner. Sure they’d have to pay back insurance money but often these cards are very important or sentimental to them. It wasn’t the owner’s fault these were lost and it’s a bit odd how some insurance guys winds up with their cards and never had a chance to get them back when all their information was right there in the package.

@nam812 said:
    So there are 699 made, but only 299 signed?

They were originally a redemption from 2012 SP Auth. There were 699 auto'd, but #s 1-500 got 'lost in the mail' (seen above), so only #s 501-699 were honored for that redemption. I'm guessing these were either a buyback from this find (which doesn't make sense based on ink color) or reprint (though if reprinted I have no idea why they would include the original /699 SNs and handwrite the /299). I'm also guessing these /299 were inserted in 2014 SP Auth, but that's total conjecture, just based off the 2014 copyright on the accompanying COA card.

@brad31 said:
    Notice the lost cards are signed in black and the new one hand numbered is signed in blue.

Interestingly, all the original #s 501-699 that I've seen were signed in blue also.

@KbKards said:

@cjaccardi said:
    haha yes exactly like that we pay claims for dead mail for couriers.

Do you attempt to contact the original submitter?

I wouldn't expect a response from a banned member.