Home Q & A Forum

Is this the Ball Serif? I just would like an expert opinion. Thank You.

Best Answer

Answers

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell. I'm leaning toward the "Trumpet S." Then I change my mind! I'll stick to not "ball."

• Thank you for your input but I’m still leaning toward the Ball....
    Here is a better scoped picture there is a “ball” at the bottom.

• I’m starting to agree... thank you for your input

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Someone could have toiled around with the MM honestly and it does kinda throw me off so I am going by the position of the MM. I would still wait for others to comment! Not sure if you are new or not but welcome to the boards

• Yes I’m new and I appreciate your opinion

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not the trumpet, me thinks ball after checking out the great reference images. CU is the best resource for me. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

MM just looks off to me. I initially wanted to go with ball but refrained from doing so. Is there a premium involved with the ball style or is the op hoping for a inverted mm

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JaNigro

Wexler’s info:

“For some years, especially in the mid-1940’s, as many as three different style S mint marks were used on a given denomination in a single year. For example, the 1946-S Lincoln cents can be found with three different styles of mint mark. They are referred to as the “Ball Serif S” style, the “Sans Serif S” style, and the “Trumpet Tail S” style.”

Pics are here:
    http://www.doubleddie.com/58306.html

• I keep looking at the referencing pics that Wexler has ... to me I am leaning toward and this is just my opinion it is the same as the 5th pic..... the top is worn along with the 46 or could it be just weak strike?

• Anyway thank you guys for your help I’ll be satisfied with either Trumpet/ Ball as an answer

• I also just noticed to the south west another S ( last picture enlarged) could that be a RPM? Or are my old eyes playing tricks on me ...