Home Q & A Forum

1886 O DMPL morgan in MS, graded far off from such. Opinions/ideas

So what do you guys think of this grade? This is graded at AU58. This is a DMPL. So keep that in mind when you see the scuffs all over it. I’ve seen 63’s and 64s with much worse marks than this coin. What is the deal with the 1886 O? NGC did the exact same thing to me with an 1886-O. it was not this one (nor a DMPL) but was in amazing condition. When you pull it up on their website you don’t see any marks on the coin whatsoever, yet they also gave me a 58 . Really starting to get to me with these grades. Especially when I spent thousands on this one DMPL plus 250 to grade it. Now it’s worth 300 piddly bucks in the holder.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to get the “real” grade that it should be?

I see all these threads with people who are happy with their grades. I can’t say the same. Are Key Dates just that much different of grading standards or what? Please help as well as let me know what you think this coin should be graded at. I’ll try and post the other that was done at NGC so you can tell me what you think that should be.

Plus I have some really nice toned Roosies I want to get graded as well as 64 and older quarters, Morgan’s, Franklins, Kennedy’s (64 sms), standings, walkings and many many many others. All in MS lots of toned, and i don’t want to get screwed on my grades if I’m going to spend the same amount on grading fees over the next month or 2 as I would buying a brand new car.

Sorry for the rant.... what’s your opinions?

Comments

• Any scuffs you see are not on the coin itself

• Here are pics I took of the PCGS DMPL

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @2C2Numismatists to the CU forums.

Your post is much more than a Q&A. Best place for your post is on the US Coin forums where you’ll likely get several opinions.

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

• My bad, thank you! Can I switch the location of the Thread myself or does a mod need to do it?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2C2Numismatists said:
    My bad, thank you! Can I switch the location of the Thread myself or does a mod need to do it?

You can re-post it directly yourself. Perhaps, combine the three into one.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2C2Numismatists said:

So what do you guys think of this grade? This is graded at AU58. This is a DMPL. So keep that in mind when you see the scuffs all over it. I’ve seen 63’s and 64s with much worse marks than this coin. What is the deal with the 1886 O? NGC did the exact same thing to me with an 1886-O. it was not this one (nor a DMPL) but was in amazing condition. When you pull it up on their website you don’t see any marks on the coin whatsoever, yet they also gave me a 58 . Really starting to get to me with these grades. Especially when I spent thousands on this one DMPL plus 250 to grade it. Now it’s worth 300 piddly bucks in the holder.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to get the “real” grade that it should be?

I see all these threads with people who are happy with their grades. I can’t say the same. Are Key Dates just that much different of grading standards or what? Please help as well as let me know what you think this coin should be graded at. I’ll try and post the other that was done at NGC so you can tell me what you think that should be.

Plus I have some really nice toned Roosies I want to get graded as well as 64 and older quarters, Morgan’s, Franklins, Kennedy’s (64 sms), standings, walkings and many many many others. All in MS lots of toned, and i don’t want to get screwed on my grades if I’m going to spend the same amount on grading fees over the next month or 2 as I would buying a brand new car.

Sorry for the rant.... what’s your opinions?

Welcome to the forum. My opinion is that you should get a grading guide and read the definition of AU. I recommend the PCGS book, the Bowers book, and the ANA grading guide. If you read the intro to those three books a few times and understand what you read, you will probably know more than many of the collectors you deal with.

This is the short answer to your question: "This is graded at AU58. This is a DMPL. So keep that in mind when you see the scuffs all over it. I’ve seen 63’s and 64s with much worse marks than this coin."

"Scuffs or anything else on a coin doesn't make it an AU. While they may lower a coin's selling price all the way down to the value of its silver, loss of detail due to friction wear is what lowers its grade. There is much more to this as today, technical AU's are graded MS and MS coins are graded AU but you'll learn all of this one day if you read the books and continue your education.

• I understand scuffs and bag marks won’t necessarily lower a grade but the wear does. Do you see any wear on this coin at all?

Is this not a beautiful Morgan is this anywhere close to deserving the AU grade in your opinion. I am pretty new to this but I have been reading nonstop and buying a lot of different coins over the last 6-7 months. I invest all my time and most my money into this. My collection is beautiful that’s for sure a lot of people could collect for 50 years and not own all the stuff that I do. Especially in the condition. I want to get it all graded but not if my grades are going to be like this.

• Neither of those photos are altered in any way. Just took them In a dim light on regular iPhone regulatar settings . That’s a beautiful coin, lol. AU?????

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to bump but I feel the need. Yes this coin is AU, a perfect example of a 58. What you are seeing in the fields is not simply bag marks but surface disturbance from circulation. Look at the 'cloudiness' of the fields and how it clears in the protected areas around the devices- this is from handling, not sitting in a bank vault. AU58's often only show very slight rub on the high points, and your coin shows exactly that.
    AU58' are often known as "sliders" for a reason and this is the type of coin an unscrupulous ebay seller might call "MS++" or some similar term due to the price increase once you get into the MS grades.

Collector, occasional seller

• Look on Pcgs website at the 86-0 DMPL and look at the MS ones they’ve graded. This is as nice and actually has less wear and marks then 2/3 of them that have the photos up on their site

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 86-O is a textbook au58. Nice coin but definitely not uncirculated.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • The few 1886 O DMPL coins that are TrueViewed on PCGS site have
    More wear on the highest points as well as more scratches and bag marks. Why were they graded as such. I will try a few more methods of getting this graded and hopefully it will get the grade it truly deserves. I have a very nice collection, i spend a lot of money on it. Plus my coins always grade within about a point of what I think they will be. This one being a key date shouldn’t be graded to different standards. They should all be graded consistency

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a little bit of impaired luster, hence AU58.

thefinn
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2019 8:16AM

Don't waste your money. There is a large price jump between AU and MS.

Look at the color on the high point of the eagle's breast. Your coin is AU. The "scruffy" field confirms this.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have the real grade. 86-O is one of the most slider coins that's why "real" unc s are so valuable. Many 60's - 62's look like sliders to me. I don't have to see your coin in hand it's a common slider. Wish all you want and spend hundreds of $$$$$ on fees submitting over and over your best bet is to get some graders on a very generous day "give" you a gift of MS60.