Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone know about these two 1983 D and 1983 Lincoln cents I have

I’m brand new at all this I just noticed no mint mark I had no clue even that Phillie didn’t put a mint mark till recently was just cleaning change out and then noticed the 83D both weighed 3.1 on my scale and I read up on it and I believe that means they have copper and zinc . Anyhow are these worthless too?

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019 7:24PM

Welcome @Stephanip.

Might want to crop your pics.

The letters are were the coins were minted.

W, West Point.
    D, Denver
    S, San Fran
    None, Philly

They are worth 1c.

• Ok so pics are too big and they are worth one penny even tho they weigh 3.1 grams and I thought one had some doubling and one a rim strike :(

• Thankyou I can delete the comment if it’s too big

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019 8:13PM

Welcome @Stephanip !
    I would make sure your scale is calibrated.
    A nickel should weigh 5.0 grams

Try that first.
    A 1983 cent that weighs 3.1 grams would be (probably) a copper piece struck in error, and would be quite valuable.
    Try a few cents from 1981 and earlier as well.
    They should weigh 3.1 grams.
    If your scale says 3.8 or something, then you know your scale is off.

It's possible but highly unlikely that you would have a 1983 and a 1983-D and both were copper coins struck in error.

1983 cents should weigh 2.5 grams.
    They are zinc with a copper plating.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mannie gray is trying to put you on the right track, and he is a professional.

I would highly recommend cropping the photos to delete your name and location.

Most of the private individuals on these forums guard their identities carefully.

A few dealers and experts here cannot do this so easily.

There are some dubious persons who hang about coins and who could come visiting if you are not cautious.

If you cannot crop the photos with your name, I'd suggest deleting them.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Mannie gray is trying to put you on the right track, and he is a professional.

I would highly recommend cropping the photos to delete your name and location.

Most of the private individuals on these forums guard their identities carefully.

A few dealers and experts here cannot do this so easily.

There are some dubious persons who hang about coins and who could come visiting if you are not cautious.

If you cannot crop the photos with your name, I'd suggest deleting them.

Good advice, @BillDugan1959 .
    I didn't notice that about the pictures.

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome the 1983 Does have a DD reverse coin. Here is what you want to see

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray has given some good advice. To go along with his advice, you could use two Lincoln cents from your spare change and do a drop test. Pre 1982 Lincoln cents are made of solid copper and sound different when dropped compared to the newer cents that are made of copper plated zinc. Make sure you use a cent dated 1981 or earlier and newer than 1983 for the test since both types were made in 1982. If your two 1983's sound like a pre 1982 cent, you may have something worth some money.

*Take the two cents (one older and one newer than yours) from your spare change and drop them about six inches onto a solid surface like a countertop. You should be able to hear the difference in sound that each one makes.

*Next drop your two 1983 cents from six inches above the solid surface and see which one it sounds like.

**You may have to do this a few times to make sure which one it sounds like.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stephanip.... Welcome aboard.....Good advice above.... Please let us know the results of your tests... Good luck. Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stephanip to the boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file