Home Sports Talk

Below are 13 of the best athletes to never win a championship please rank them 1-13.

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ted Williams, Charles Barkley, Dan Marino, Karl Malone, Ty Cobb, Ken Griffey, Dick Butkus, Barry Bonds, Barry Sanders, Ernie Banks, Randy Moss, Tony Gwynn, Elgin Baylor....

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2019 4:08AM

Super tough. My stab

m

1) Williams
    2) Cobb
    3) Sanders
    4) Marino
    5) Bonds
    6) Griffey Jr
    7) Banks
    8) Butkus
    9) Malone
    10) Baylor
    11) Gwynn
    12) Barkley
    13) Moss

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

tough to make that list. I will do it by sport as it is just too hard to accurately compare across sports.
    Baseball: Football basketball
    1 Bonds 1. Marino 1 malone
    2 williams 2 Sanders 2 baylor
    3 cobb 3 butkus 3 Barkley
    4 griffey 4 moss
    5 banks
    6 gwynn

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2019 5:31AM

Williams, Sanders top my list. The rest can go in any order, it’s tough to rationalize which guy was more talented in regards to the next guy since it’s different sports. 1-Williams 2 Sanders 3 Marino 4 Cobb 5 Butkus 6 Barkley 7 Malone 8 Bonds 9 Griffey 10 Moss 11 Gwynn 12 Banks 13 Baylor

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

To Perk's point. We cannot agree on who the best QB or running back or (yikes) third baseman.

To cross sports and eras is impossible. Of course that has never stopped us. I'll rate mine though as quality of character...at least as I perceive them.

1. Sanders
    2. Banks
    3. Marino
    4. Griffey
    5. Gwynn
    6. Butkus
    7. Williams
    8. Malone
    9. Cobb
    10. Moss
    11. Bonds
    12. Barkley

Would only be guessing with Baylor.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

12 are all great......I would leave Bonds off the list. I don't even acknowledge his as a person! :s

Thank you MLB. Pre internet athletes had it easy as the off field life was mostly private.

I didnt know character was a qualifier

edited April 3, 2019 10:24AM

@craig44 said:

Next time we can do shoe size.

I had no way to rate Randy Moss vs Ty Cobb on talent, so took another angle.

@Coinstartled said:

@craig44 said:

I don't about Randy Moss, but in real life Ty Cobb was a terrible person. He was a great player, but very dirty. When he came into 2nd it was spikes up and trying to hurt ya!

@Coinstartled said:

@craig44 said:

Moss was no better than Cobb. Maybe reverse them on the list but that is about it.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Bonds
    Williams
    Cobb
    Marino
    Sanders
    Griffey
    Gwynn

the rest

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Did Allen Iverson win a championship?

@garnettstyle said:

Good Call, I don’t believe he did

@perkdog said:

@garnettstyle said:

Good Call, I don’t believe he did

Just another skuz-bucket!

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Killebrew is better than a few of the stiffs mentioned.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere Patrick Ewing looks at that list to see his name, and weeps.

@nam812 said:

Whoa! First Matt and now a Nick sighting??? Welcome back bro!!! 🍻

@perkdog said:

@nam812 said:

Thanks Paul. Now let's get some perkies up in here.

@nam812 said:

@perkdog said:

@nam812 said:

Thanks Paul. Now let's get some perkies up in here.

Haha I’m gonna have to look into that, I got a “Not messing around” type PM from a fella ordering me to take it down years ago, not sure if he is still lurking around 😳. Glad your back man!

Thanks Paul, me too. Yeah the perkies were just a blast from the past, don't get in trouble.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    Thanks Paul, me too. Yeah the perkies were just a blast from the past, don't get in trouble.

The perkies are why I visited this forum

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@nam812 said:

The perkies are why I visited this forum

Come for the perkies, and stay for the sports talk. lol

Hilarious that one single person would put Bonds above Williams or Cobb...............unbelievable!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:
    Hilarious that one single person would put Bonds above Williams or Cobb...............unbelievable!

Makes ya wanna PUKE!

@JoeBanzai said:

Craig sort of has him on to too.

In fairness the OP does not specify the criteria for the ranking.

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Makes ya wanna PUKE!

was there a qualifier in the OP that I missed?

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

Who are some of the other great MLB non-Cub players besides Griffey who never appeared in the WS?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Hilarious that one single person would put Bonds* above Williams or Cobb...............unbelievable!

Fixed for ya :blush:

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

@Coinstartled said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Just look at the numbers, Williams had ONE year OPS below 1.000 and that was a short year at the end of his career.

I'll give you that Bonds was a sure HOFer before he juiced, but even with the steroids he's NOT better than Ted Williams.

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Just look at the numbers, Williams had ONE year OPS below 1.000 and that was a short year at the end of his career.

I'll give you that Bonds was a sure HOFer before he juiced, but even with the steroids he's NOT better than Ted Williams.

Bonds isn't better than anybody........even Chris Davis is better!

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Bonds isn't better than anybody........even Chris Davis is better!

I'm not going THAT far. if my numbers are correct (they often aren't) Bonds'
    hr per AB was 15.69 after 10 full seasons of hitting.

He was at 22.22 for years 1-5 and did lower the number to a very good (but not great) 12.76 for years 5-10.

Year 15 he was at 6.52. No one does that without help.

Barry was (in my mind) going to be in the GOAT discussion as an all around player before he cheated. Even if you don't care about a guy cheating, you can't really figure how good he was without "help".

Too bad really. I HATE to see him at the top of so many categories, he just doesn't belong there imo.

edited April 17, 2019 12:58AM

Bonds was also a better defensive player than Williams and Cobb.

edited April 17, 2019 9:11PM

Bonds was and is a Dirt Bag of the worst kind!! He shouldn't be on any list except the Dirt Bag Scum Bag list which he should be #1!

@DIMEMAN said:
    Bonds was and is a Dirt Bag of the worst kind!! He shouldn't be on any list except the Dirt Bag Scum Bag list which he should be #1!

WOW! A bit harsh, Pete would be up there too, although you prolly won't agree.

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Pete was/is also a Dirt Bag personally, but not as bad as Bonds. The difference between Rose and Bonds is that Rose got all of his stats honestly without help from drugs. Pete deserves all of his stats and should be in the HOF as the All Time Hits Leader. He was on the team called "The Big Red Machine", which is my favorite Baseball team of all time.

• RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

For the very limited NASCAR fans out there Mark Martin comes to mind....

Rob

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Pete was/is also a Dirt Bag personally, but not as bad as Bonds. The difference between Rose and Bonds is that Rose got all of his stats honestly without help from drugs. Pete deserves all of his stats and should be in the HOF as the All Time Hits Leader. He was on the team called "The Big Red Machine", which is my favorite Baseball team of all time.

How do you know rose didn't use PEDs? Steroids and other PED were certainly prevalent in the 1970's-80's

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Betting on baseball and having sex with VERY young girls, pretty bad. Bonds is bad as well.

Neither should ever get in the HOF as far as I am concerned.

@craig44 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

How do you know rose didn't use PEDs? Steroids and other PED were certainly prevalent in the 1970's-80's

Two things:

1) He never changed in appearance.

2) He never suddenly got better. He was consistently great through out his whole career.

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Betting on baseball and having sex with VERY young girls, pretty bad. Bonds is bad as well.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I believe Rose earned his stats and earned his way into the HOF based on his performances as a player.

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I believe Rose earned his stats and earned his way into the HOF based on his performances as a player.

We ALL believe this. However he became a manager and broke the #1 rule in baseball.

Had he retired away from the game and been a dirtball, I would be in total agreement with you, LOVED him as a player.

You just can't break the number one taboo thing and expect to get off.

Remember he AGREED to the ban.

Pete is arguably better off with his banishment, he is probably making more money because of the controversy.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would ask Craig what his rational is for placing Barry Bonds ahead of Ted Williams and Ty Cobb??

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Williams
    Sanders
    Griffey
    Moss
    Marino
    Butkus
    Banks
    Baylor
    Barkley
    Gwynn
    Malone

Leaving Cobb and Bonds off the list -- Cobb is so long ago who knows and Bonds is hard to compare to anyone (except Roger Clemens who also had two careers - one pre-roids and one post-roids).

I think Moss was spectacular -- the only guys on the list that can compare in pure awesome talent are Williams, Sanders and Griffey.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.