Home Sports Talk

Most exciting play in all of sports ?

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any sport. Any play. What gives you the most thrill. Not limited to just one answer.

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 3:37PM

I recall Jaromir Jagr surgically threading a puck across the crease and into the net during a playoff game. The fellow has unmatchable skill.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breakaways and penalty shots in hockey.

In person it has to be the Indy500 flying start.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

The albatross

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Penalty kicks in the semis or Finals of the World Cup

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

you hardly see it anymore, but someone stealing home, and I'm not talking the double steal kind. Just a flat out steal of home.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bottom of the 9th walk off homer... especially if you're rooting for the home team!

:+1:

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

how about the last second buzzer beater in basketball......many of those in the college game come to mind. Laettner at Duke in the NCAA, Jordan at No Carolina, Isiah Thomas at Indiana etc. also these were all NCAA final 4 games, the biggest stage.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably last second plays in football when the offense has the ball inside the 40 yard line or so. I rarely ever sit down for those plays.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

With minutes to spare Guy Lafleur scored in a playoff game to tie the Bruins in 1979,Gibson's homer for the Dodgers.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I will get some eye rolls but for me the most exciting thing in Sports was Tom Brady leading the final drive to win the Super Bowl against Atlanta.

@electrode said:
    With minutes to spare Guy Lafleur scored in a playoff game to tie the Bruins in 1979,Gibson's homer for the Dodgers.

Gibson homer is a strong candidate.

Add the Larry Bird steal vs the Pistons late in the playoffs. 1986 or so.

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I recall reading in the papers that Don Cherry said to the press before the deciding game against the Bruins "when the Canadiens play at home the refs always gives them a goal"for those of you who watch hockey night in Canada and see Don Cherry in "coaches corner" raising his arms in desperation he is gesturing to the home crowd ...see you so you got what you wanted..the game before this one when Lafleur scored to force overtime the Habs faithful were booing Ken Dryden because he did not play well and the Canadiens lost so Bunny Larocque was to start the next game but he got injured in the warm up enter Dryden and with the help of Lafleur's tying goal and the overtime winner by Lambert the Habs won the series beating the Bruins, the Canadiens went on to beat the Rangers who surprisingly upset the up and coming Islanders,it should be noted that Larocque who played the minimum of 25 games a year won many Vezina trophies as Dryden' backup and his goals against average was as good as his counterpart this is why i entered the "Bunny"Larocque in the players category,lastly the "miracle on ice" was huge the American network showed the taped result thinking that the team USA would lose for those of you who are American and live near the Canadian border we saw it live and it was unbelievable that the Americans could beat the powerful Russian national team.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a running back like Adrian Peterson would break into the open and run 50+ yards for a touchdown.

You knew no one was going to catch him in his prime.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 12:32PM

A long td run after catch or a long rush to win the game in ot

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I know I will get some eye rolls but for me the most exciting thing in Sports was Tom Brady leading the final drive to win the Super Bowl against Atlanta.

I agree. This was the pinnacle of the Brady era for me. It cemented everything that came before and made everything that follows just a cherry on top. I remember watching, just knowing we would win and it was awesome!

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2019 1:53AM

This one by Manning is near the top of my list to this day.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CxiHMIM4NWI

@ernie11 said:
    This one by Manning is near the top of my list to this day.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CxiHMIM4NWI

This one gives me the opposite reaction.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

not only did this miracle shot with 3 holes remaining in the final round of the 2005 Masters propel Tiger to victory, but it also gave every Nike exec the best orgasmic moment of their life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2lcW2crjQI

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    not only did this miracle shot with 3 holes remaining in the final round of the 2005 Masters propel Tiger to victory, but it also gave every Nike exec the best orgasmic moment of their life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2lcW2crjQI

Hollywood. Still makes me smile

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2019 12:18PM

I think Willy Shoemaker's ride on Ferdinand through the field to win the 1986 Kentucky Derby was imo the greatest ride ever. Watch the Race then do watch the isolated replay he's #1. https://youtu.be/VKAOZpekAjw

As for a general play,the final play in a football game, a 4th down, for the win. The last possession for the win in basketball. A shoot out in hockey. Don't really like horse racing but a down to the wire race during one of the big four is awesome.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm partial to the inside-the-park homerun. Not one where it's really a triple and he scores on a defensive miscue/error; but a true inside-the-park HR, where the batter/runner just beats the defense back to the plate.

Steve

@SDSportsFan said:
    I'm partial to the inside-the-park homerun. Not one where it's really a triple and he scores on a defensive miscue/error; but a true inside-the-park HR, where the batter/runner just beats the defense back to the plate.

Steve

Yes, those are amazing. So rare, with conservative third base coaches.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come from behind win in the 4X400 relay

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some have already been mentioned.....here is a few more:

Big Red blowing away everyone at the 1973 Belmont.
    Ali knocking out Foreman to regain the belt.
    Tony Dorsett running 99 1/2 yards for a TD against the Vikes on Monday Night Football. Dallas only had 10 men on the field to boot!!
    Dallas crushing the Bills 2 years in a row in the SB to give the Bill's their 4 SB loss in a row. A record that will NEVER be broken! :)