Home U.S. Coin Forum

Very nice two-piece 1916-D dime.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I owned one of these alterations. Two genuine coins joined together to make a 1916-D dime. Note the different color of both parts. **it is best seen with the white balance "off." :p

Next time the faker should remove the file marks to make a better alteration. IMO, even with that improvement it would not pass a major TPGS.

PS don't ask for a full images of both sides - it would look like a normal coin. The clue to this alteration is its rim which I show. :)

Comments

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting and thanks for sharing. Can we see a picture directly on the edge? Is there any separation between the two?

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat! thanks for posting.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:
    Interesting and thanks for sharing. Can we see a picture directly on the edge? Is there any separation between the two?

The edge is normal. The seam on this one is on the rim.

@PerryHall said:
    I've heard of people putting two worn thin Mercury dimes together in a Capital coin holder---a 1916 dime paired with a common date D mint dime for the reverse. If the buyer doesn't take apart the three panel holder he may be fooled. I once had a deader offer me a nice AU Lewis and Clark Commemorative gold dollar in a Capital holder. When I took apart the holder I discovered a spot of solder on the edge at 12 o'clock indicating that it was an ex-jewelry coin. This solder was hidden by the holder. The dealer pretended to be very surprised. :D

I've had three of these come into various second tier TPGS's I've worked at over the years. :)

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

MOC bought a sandwiched 32-D Washie a decade ago in a fake PCGS holder. One must remain vigilant.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

So one would have to turn the center out on a lathe and cut down the reverse to glue in?

• sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Very cool

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very clever but more clever is @Insider2 ;)

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    So one would have to turn the center out on a lathe and cut down the reverse to glue in?

Yes. This is how those two head and two tailed magician coins are made.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose you folks would even question my 1796 quarter.

Even though the 1, the 7, the 9 and the 6 are very visible.
    :D:p:D

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the education!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

This is the kind of stuff that makes me puke! Big deal, a label error. I prefer the folks who come across stuff like this and have it corrected by the TPGS. In my >:) world, a post as this would call for a "vacation" whether the member owned the coin or not!

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@topstuf said:

This is the kind of stuff that makes me puke! Big deal, a label error. I prefer the folks who come across stuff like this and have it corrected by the TPGS. In my >:) world, a post as this would call for a "vacation" whether the member owned the coin or not!

I'd send for a reholder but would lose the OGH. :p:p:p:p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file