Home Sports Talk

I never knew this event existed

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

World Marathon Challenge

7 marathons in 7 days on 7 different continents

Takes 40k to enter

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of that. One thing that I have heard of is “Extreme Endurance races” not sure the exact name but there are races across deserts, icey mountain runs ect.. extreme sports are nothing nice

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

40k to enter and more cost than that when including other expenses. And from looking at their website, i didn't see any mention of prize money.

I'd refer to it as the "Glutton for Punishment" challenge. :p

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 5:52PM

I’ve heard of it, insane competition. Antarctica marathon is stupid ridiculous. There was a show on some channel about it a few years ago, just dead nuts, run, catch a plane, shit shower shave on the plane and catch some sleep if you can...X7. Hang your junk on the wall after.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

how do you get to the next continent by tomorrow? do you have to go west to east to stay ahead of the sun?

I realize it's like what mountain climbers say when asked why they do it, and they reply, if you have to ask why then you'll never understand.

So this will make at least two things that I'll never understand. 🤷

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Endurance along with strength competition and lack of sleep is the most challenging thing humans can compete in. Think about Navy Seal training but a race, it’s insane what some people are capable of doing. On a much lesser scale I went through a 7 day Tactical response academy and from 0645 on Monday morning until 1200 Friday afternoon I slept a total of 6 hours, it involved physical training in full riot gear for almost 7 full days, I did that at age 37 and it was the hardest challenge I ever completed. The extreme athletes are on a different scale

@perkdog said:
    Endurance along with strength competition and lack of sleep is the most challenging thing humans can compete in. Think about Navy Seal training but a race, it’s insane what some people are capable of doing. On a much lesser scale I went through a 7 day Tactical response academy and from 0645 on Monday morning until 1200 Friday afternoon I slept a total of 6 hours, it involved physical training in full riot gear for almost 7 full days, I did that at age 37 and it was the hardest challenge I ever completed. The extreme athletes are on a different scale

I completely understand what you did. You were in law enforcement, and it was part of your career. You likely participated in that, to perhaps get a bump to another position or a raise in pay. I applaud that, and your service to our community.

Similar with Navy Seals. They are serving our country to fight the enemy. And advancing to become a Navy Seal is a career move as well.

This marathon thing is shelling out over 40k to race against others willing to do the same? No comprende. 🤔

i feel like the first marathon is all world class times but number 7 is won by a dude that finishes in 23 hours :D

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    how do you get to the next continent by tomorrow? do you have to go west to east to stay ahead of the sun?

Swim. It is the super triathlon.

I'm confused though 7 races 7 days so this entire event happens in a single week ? No days off in between ? stumble over the finish line into an airplane and run out of the plane immediately the second it lands?

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

Swim. It is the super triathlon.

That has been done across the oceans. The ocean is mostly still water most of the way. So if you pace yourself properly the task can be accomplished.

If you happen to swim into a typhoon, it can actually help you gain distance without effort if you work with the wind and not against it.

Latching on to a whale and riding it like a horse is another possibility that I've heard about. 🐋

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 8:14PM

@bronco2078 said:

I'm confused

You will always be welcome on the sports forum.