Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Interesting Tidbit from a Card Shop Owner.....1963 Topps

Got a friend of mine who owns a card shop, he comes across some pretty good collections. He told me that he just bought a 1963 "Factory Set" and that the cards are sharp/near-mint. According to him there were only like 50 or 100 of these sets printed for executives, etc. Unfortunately, I did not get to see this "factory set" at this time..... Anyone know what this set could be worth? I should've asked more but would it been in a special box? Thanks for any info. you might have.....

Comments

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a Topps Presentation set. Think they are in individual boxes by series. I have never scene one in person but there are pictures from auction houses if you search Topps Presentstion set.

• BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

These exist as Brad explains. Unfortunately, often times they are cut short by Topps. I've also heard they have more surface gloss than regular cards from that year.

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

So basically what they are saying i that these are early Tiffany sets.

• markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭

I’ve seen a 2001 presentation set on eBay as well which was given to employees. Any info on that set?

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

I just read that the cards presentation sets were actually smaller than the official cards making it rather difficult to grade them via PSA. They often come back min. size requirement.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Presentation Sets are just what they say:

They are made to be given as a gift and typically handled better, cut better and as mentioned are extra glossy (more noticeable on vintage). The basic idea is they are promotional items given away by Topps executives. They’ve usually been given to people as a ‘special gift’ - Sy Berger gave one to Willie Mays, as an example. Sales reps might preview the next years set with one at a sales meeting and have a few for the ‘bigger clients’ who attended.

So, yes, I would guess that when the idea of producing some to sell rather than just give away, the name ‘Presentation Sets’ have way to Tiffany (likely a nod to the high end NY Jeweler from the N.Y. based Topps Company).

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest