Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1962 Topps Baseball Complete PSA Set Value????

I have done a little research but haven't run across a complete PSA that has sold via AH. Was just curious what you guys think a complete 1962 Topps PSA 7+ set might sell for? I have a "friend" that purchased a set from the original owner who put the set together from packs in 1962. I have seen the set and the cards are gorgeous. Obviously, there are some with centering issues as is common for the series. While I have not gone thru the set card by card, I would guess that the vast majority of the cards, if sent to PSA are going to come back 7 or 8. I'm sure there will be several 9's as well. Personally, I would probably send the entire set in for grading except for the oc commons that are easily obtained in a straight grade. That way the set could remain complete in a straight grade. This would just be the basic set and not the master, although I'm sure there are some green tints included. Any opinions welcomed and appreciated!
Thanks!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a similar set about 16 years ago. My first submission was the stars, with mostly 8s (including Frank Robinson, Aaron, Koufax, Musial, Mantle/Mays), some 7s (Mantle, Banks, Mays) and a few 6s (Maris, Brock).

Then started sending in the worthy cards of the first series. Ended up with similar distribution of 8/7/6s and decided that I would upgrade any non-8 to an 8 or better as a long term project.

Still have a way to go. It’s hard with the wood grained borders, and grading seems more stringent these days than in the past.

A straight-8 PSA set is probably a $50k undertaking if you are buying all 598 cards in slabs from scratch. One of the auction houses broken a mostly PSA 9 set last year and in the aggregate I think it went nicely above $100k.

Good luck with the project. I’m sitting on a decent bunch of 6s and 7s that I’ve upgraded so far if you need to fill in where the raw card may be unable to make the grade in your set.

Dave
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@70ToppsFanatic said:
    I bought a similar set about 16 years ago. My first submission was the stars, with mostly 8s (including Frank Robinson, Aaron, Koufax, Musial, Mantle/Mays), some 7s (Mantle, Banks, Mays) and a few 6s (Maris, Brock).

Then started sending in the worthy cards of the first series. Ended up with similar distribution of 8/7/6s and decided that I would upgrade any non-8 to an 8 or better as a long term project.

Still have a way to go. It’s hard with the wood grained borders, and grading seems more stringent these days than in the past.

A straight-8 PSA set is probably a $50k undertaking if you are buying all 598 cards in slabs from scratch. One of the auction houses broken a mostly PSA 9 set last year and in the aggregate I think it went nicely above $100k.

Good luck with the project. I’m sitting on a decent bunch of 6s and 7s that I’ve upgraded so far if you need to fill in where the raw card may be unable to make the grade in your set.

Dave. thank you for the response! I really wish this was my set. I tried to get a price from the current owner but they are sitting pretty tight. I think it is the difficulty of knowing what it might be worth and what is the best step to take to optimize the potential of the set. I had also pointed out that PSA is super stringent on this series these days and 8's and higher are tough to get. My opinion is that if it was an 8 15 years ago, it probably gets a 6 or 7 if graded today. If it were my set I would do the exact same thing as you are doing. If there were any commons that were super tough that came back in 8 or 9 that bought higher $$ I would probably sell them off and get a grade lower to keep the set at least 7 quality. I honestly didn't realize that there were a few commons in the set that bring huge money in 8. Figured you probably had to step up to 9. Just off the top of my head I think #3, #287 and #349...to name a couple. I have a raw set that is just vg-ex, so nothing special. Honestly, I love this set and I hate it all at the same time. I think they are ugly in low grade but beautiful in high grade.
    From what I have been told, the original owner of this set also has a 1961 Topps set that was put together from packs but isn't ready to part with it at this time. I'm drooling over the opportunity to see that and possibly make an offer when it comes out!
    Best of luck with your set and if I help proceed with getting this set graded and need to fill in some holes, I will for sure hit you up!
    Thanks!
    Tim

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • natetrooknatetrook Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I sold an all PSA-8 set to Steve Novella for $52,500. Retired at a 8.02 on the registry.
    Witt and Blanchard in PSA-8. Landrum and Foytack in PSA-7. Those were the toughest low pops.
    The set was purchased and broken up on Ebay for $64,000. After Ebay and paypal fees, I estimate buyer netted $54-55,000.
    He probably paid that much to Novella for my set, so not worth the time for me to me to break up my 598 card set, to scan,
    list and mail out all those packages, so I'm happy with my sale.

Had a great time assembling the set. FYI, I sold an all PSA-7 set for $14,000-15,000 during the assembly, cherry picking
    cards to make the master set. Beautiful set in high grade. Have fun assembling it.
    Nate

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

VCP of a PSA 7 Master set is about 16K, a PSA 8 Master is about 75 K.

• gb5151gb5151 Posts: 7 ✭✭

I have a complete set all 8’s and 9’s. Over 400 are graded psa 9 and one psa 10. I would take $169k for mine. It is rated #3 current finest right now.