Home Sports Talk

QBs with howitzers, QBs with popguns

breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 6, 2019 8:45PM in Sports Talk

As Brady and Manning have shown recently and Montana and Tarkenton in the past, great quarterbacks don't always have A+ arms. I think Brady is well- above average but he replaced and turned out to be superior to a guy who had a much bigger arm in Bledsoe.

Some other Guys with howitzers
Elway
Favre
Marino

Then there are some guys that defied logic by being pretty good NFL quarterbacks with popgun arms:
Sonny Jorgensen
Bernie Kosar
Chad Pennington

Okay who do you put in those categories? The current MVP is too easy (hey I am a long-suffering Chiefs fan!)

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

QB's with hands around throat:

Romo

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

not my favorite QB, but he did win a Super Bowl and has a howitzer......Joe Flacco
    for a QB with a smallish arm, but accurate as hell.... Ken Stabler

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff George had a bazooka

I don't know if he qualified as a QB...more of a thrower

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Unitas and Starr didn't have cannons. So far Joe Namath had the best arm I ever saw.
    The 1st 3 mentioned come to mind also as great throwers.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patrick Mahomes has a howitzer

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

rex grossman and rich gannon had pretty weak arms. Late career Payton Manning had one of the worst arms I remember seeing.

Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick, Bledsoe, elway and marino all had very strong arms. but the best arm I ever saw was...

Uncle Rico. man, that guy could throw a ball right over those mountains...

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

That guy could make INCREDIBLE throws, so could Favre, big difference in toughness though. I think Jeff fumbled every time he got touched. prolly figured if defender was going after the ball, he wouldn't get hit. ;-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@galaxy27 said:

That guy could make INCREDIBLE throws, so could Favre, big difference in toughness though. I think Jeff fumbled every time he got touched. prolly figured if defender was going after the ball, he wouldn't get hit. ;-)

Plus he had two first names , but that was his idiot parents fault

@craig44 said:
    rex grossman and rich gannon had pretty weak arms. Late career Payton Manning had one of the worst arms I remember seeing.

Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick, Bledsoe, elway and marino all had very strong arms. but the best arm I ever saw was...

Uncle Rico. man, that guy could throw a ball right over those mountains...

Late career Peyton Manning arm was better described as a mortar.

edited February 7, 2019 10:07AM

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@galaxy27 said:

??? If you have a first name for a last name...how do you avoid having 2 first names???

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@galaxy27 said:

??? If you have a first name for a last name...how do you avoid have 2 first names???

You go to court and have your last name changed into a proper last name

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@galaxy27 said:

??? If you have a first name for a last name...how do you avoid have 2 first names???

There's a Basketball player that needs to do the same thing.

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@galaxy27 said:

No actually because his first name is not a first name. Bron is dutch for source , Le is french for the . also italian , in spanish I think it means you

His parents were idiots who scrambled 2 languages together to invent a new name. then attached that to a first name. so thats barely ok.

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@galaxy27 said:

No actually because his first name is not a first name. Bron is dutch for source , Le is french for the . also italian , in spanish I think it means you

His parents were idiots who scrambled 2 languages together to invent a new name. then attached that to a first name. so thats barely ok.

I was thinking of the guy with Paul as last name.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Warren Moon and Bert Jones had cannons!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@galaxy27 said:

I was thinking of the guy with Paul as last name.

I think we are surrounded :s

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether you like them or not Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford have great arms

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

forgot about warren moon. that guy threw lasers.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Warren Moon and Bert Jones had cannons!

You beat me to it on Moon. Right behind Marino on the bionic arm list.

Houston (I think) use to have a QB that could stand in one end zone and throw it into the other end zone. Was it Pasterinne(sp)

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Houston (I think) use to have a QB that could stand in one end zone and throw it into the other end zone. Was it Pasterinne(sp)

There's a video of Lamar Jackson doing that. In high school.

50-60 yards in the air is considered long.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Video or it didn't happen.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Must not have happened....I couldn't find it with google. I did find where Roman Gaberal(sp) threw an incomplete pass 90 yards in the air. Also Vinny Testraverde threw one 80 yards.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Must not have happened....I couldn't find it with google. I did find where Roman Gaberal(sp) threw an incomplete pass 90 yards in the air. Also Vinny Testraverde threw one 80 yards.

Pastorini had a canon but I don't think there's any video proof or documentation of a pass even going 90 yards in the air.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

google does not work, anymore timewarp back to 2011 and try again

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Pastorini had a canon but I don't think there's any video proof or documentation of a pass even going 90 yards in the air.

except uncle rico

The 100 yards I am thinking about was not in a game. He was just trying to throw it as far as he could.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

next time i go to Olive Garden i'm ordering Pasterinne

@galaxy27 said:
    next time i go to Olive Garden i'm ordering Pasterinne

It's pretty good ....... I have it all the time. :)B)

I would have to see evidence of any ball thrown over 80 yards. even that would be a monumental throw. maybe akin to a 500+ foot home run. I am sure there is a little "Paul Bunyan" thrown into some of those old stories like with the Babe's 600 foot home run.

One thing seems to be clear here. You don't need a "cannon" to be a winner!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@craig44 said:
    I would have to see evidence of any ball thrown over 80 yards. even that would be a monumental throw. maybe akin to a 500+ foot home run. I am sure there is a little "Paul Bunyan" thrown into some of those old stories like with the Babe's 600 foot home run.

The 90 and 80 yarders were in games so they should be accurate.

If my memory is correct, Billy Kilmer (I remember him playing for the Redskins) had the worsttt arm I've ever seen in a QB. He couldn't even consistently throw a spiral.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

there's a third category, the "touch" pass that some QB's just cannot master. Brady showed a few of those in the SB. one went to Gronk down the right sideline for about 20 yards in the air, a floater that was about as perfect as anyone could throw. some QB's never master that even with a strong accurate arm.

one QB that comes to mind who had a strong arm but no touch was Doug Williams.

another with a purportedly strong arm is Andy Dalton. back in 2014 in the hype leading up to a Thursday night game with the Browns vs. Bengals the media was stuck on Dalton being the "Red Rocket" because of his arm. a Browns player dubbed him the "Red Ryder BB Gun" and it started a big fuss.

Cleveland won and Dalton finished with a QB rating of 2.0!!

One thing seems to be clear here. You don't need a "cannon" to be a winner!

The Bears use to have a QB that threw so hard that his receivers could not hold on to the ball.

Rudy Bukich!