Home Sports Talk

Religious innuendos or sayings in sports

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Johnny Damon..........(after he left Boston for NY)

Looks like Jesus
Acts like Judas
Throws like Mary

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2019 2:38PM

Touchdown Jesus at Notre Dame

Holy Cow Harry Caray

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Damn I just realized I spelled Harry Caray wrong and my edit button has disappeared :s:o

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

How about that ole song by kate Smith 7th inning stretch

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "Hail Mary" in football.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Immaculate Reception

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    The Immaculate Reception

Was that when God threw the ten commandments at Moses?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

The Holy Roller.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reggie White was known as the Minister of Defense.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand this thread is not what I’m referring to but I’m just going to throw it out there that I cannot stand it when players thank God or Jesus for good performance or winning ect.. it sounds so ridiculous.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Miracle on Ice
    Hank "The Hebrew Hammer" Greenberg
    Elwin Charles "Preacher" Roe
    The Four Horsemen of Notre Dame (the Apocalypse)

Music City Miracle
    Yankee Stadium: Baseball's Cathedral
    Sunday Silence

Spahn and Sain, and pray for rain.

Amen Corner at Augusta National

A description of what would appear to be an overwhelming mismatch between opponents will often mention David vs Goliath.

New Jersey Devils

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Goalie Carey Price of the Montreal Canadians has PSALM 91 inscribed on the back of the mask he is using right now.
    It's interesting because NHL rules allow goalies to use most forms of expression they want on their masks. I don't
    believe any other professional sport would allow this under their uniform rules, except perhaps NASCAR. I wonder if
    Price had to check with the NHL before doing this. If he did, then the NHL obviously approved.

Cheesie!

If you're of a certain age, or watch a lot of classic games across various sports from the late 70s to mid 80s, you may recall a guy that would quite often show up in camera view like an O.G. Marlins Man, with a rainbow colored wig on rather than the bright orange Marlins getup, and holding up a sign with "John 3:16" on it, spreading the message to all the world.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mose Solomon

"The Rabbi of Swat"

@Coinstartled said:
    Mose Solomon

"The Rabbi of Swat"

dumbest thing I ever heard :D

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    Amen Corner at Augusta National

Jesus' name is uttered often at Augusta.

Grote- I knew what the immaculate reception was.

Just wondering where it refers to it in the Bible.LOL.
    Yes, yes, immaculate conception. Not exactly the same.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Madison Square Garden is often referred to as the ‘Mecca of Basketball’ though not all realize that is a religious reference when it is uttered. Most will recognize it as a religious reference when in print.

And since I haven’t seen it...

Los Angeles Angels
    New Jersey Devils

and...

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

God Shammgod.

Oh wait, that's not a religious reference. That's just his name.

Andy

@1970s said:
    Hall of famer, and 2nd greatest 3rd baseman of all time Mike Schmidt weighed in on what it
    was like in the 70's for him.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/mlb-hall-of-famer-mike-schmidt-christian-players-stigmatized-when-he-played.html

Could this thread turn into Schmidt vs. Brett - Round 3.

Wasn't George Brett a devil worshiper who conducted the slaughtering of puppies and kittens in various types of satanic rituals?

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:
    I understand this thread is not what I’m referring to but I’m just going to throw it out there that I cannot stand it when players thank God or Jesus for good performance or winning ect.. it sounds so ridiculous.

How about when athletes thank mom and dad ? That actually has slowed down a lot. If people remember the 70's, it happened all the time. Even during All Star game introductions, every player used to mouth "hi mom". Now everyone thanks their team mates.

everyone is from a broken family now :D:D

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:

How about when athletes thank mom and dad ? That actually has slowed down a lot. If people remember the 70's, it happened all the time. Even during All Star game introductions, every player used to mouth "hi mom". Now everyone thanks their team mates.

I actually forgot about the “Hi Mom” but yea id rather these guys Thank their grandmother that raised them or family than “God or Jesus”. It sounds so ridiculous I can’t stand it.

Yankees announcer Bob Sheppard was known as The Voice of God.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago the Hispanic players would make the sign of the cross before they stepped into the batters box.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

edited February 10, 2019 8:15AM

@perkdog said:

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:

I actually forgot about the “Hi Mom” but yea id rather these guys Thank their grandmother that raised them or family than “God or Jesus”. It sounds so ridiculous I can’t stand it.

It’s actually one of the reasons I never took a shine to Tim Tebow. It was a turnoff. Same with Dabo Swinney after Clemson- Alabama game. Too much

m

You guys really should leave the comments about thanking God alone.
    If their religious beliefs are that strong then fine. A lot of them that thank God were
    probably up on stage at the NFL honors program having been nominated for the Walter Payton award.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@Darin said:
    If their religious beliefs are that strong then fine. A lot of them that thank God were
    probably up on stage at the NFL honors program having been nominated for the Walter Payton award.

Don’t mind it once in the interview. Repeatedly not so much

m

@Darin said:

I have absolutely no problem with anyone’s religious beliefs but I also don’t care what anyone says or thinks about God and Sports, i feel it’s stupid to think that “God or Jesus” has anything to do with the outcome of a sporting event.

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

I have absolutely no problem with anyone’s religious beliefs but I also don’t care what anyone says or thinks about God and Sports, i feel it’s stupid to think that “God or Jesus” has anything to do with the outcome of a sporting event.

Depends on how much money he has on it.

Come on...nobody get upset...it's only a joke. :|

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lost a golf match one time to a Pastor of a local church. After the match he told the Head Pro the Lord helped him stay calm in tough situations. He was DQed for having outside help. :D

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

edited February 10, 2019 12:38PM

@1970s said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:

It’s actually one of the reasons I never took a shine to Tim Tebow. It was a turnoff. Same with Dabo Swinney after Clemson- Alabama game. Too much

m

Again, if Tim Tebow knows Jesus Christ the same way he knows his own mother, why do you find it offensive that he takes the time to thank him ? Would you be turned off if every time Tim had a chance in front of the camera he would say "thank you mom and dad!" ?

I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm just trying to figure out why you're so turned off
    by it. Why can't a professional athlete thank his God the same way he can thank his parents ?

What is wrong with that ? Not trying to win an argument either. Just trying to understand
    your point of view. When it comes to religion and politics, I know how offended some can get, so trust me, I'm not going there the way I did in the Brett-Schmidt debate.

I leave most of this stuff totally alone, and for good reason.

Speaking for myself here I don’t think this is such a taboo subject where it’s going to turn into a combat zone here like the Kap thread, it’s an interesting topic and I’ve stated my views. Thanking family members that worked several jobs to put sporto through school or took him in when his parents went to jail or OD’ed is something that actually physically happened and is deserved of a genuine appreciation when an athlete makes it. Religion is more of an invisible factor and is left to individuals to interpret themselves, if someone wants to thank God or Jesus for making themselves strong through trials of life and upbringing then sure that’s fine but that’s where I draw the line as far as that stuff goes. Either way I’d rather a player praise god or Jesus than kneel in defiance of our flag and disrespect Law Enforcement

@1970’s Thank You for the nice words, there are many things for us working class folk to get annoyed with when it comes to these professional athletes but at the end of the day this subject is small beans compared to the many other things that most of us just shake our head at.

It is a great country where one can self express themselves freely regardless who is bothered by it. No one person gets to draw the lines. Someone wants to kneel fine. Thank Jesus fine. Thank mom and dad fine. Do I have to like it? Nope

m

It will be a great day when we can leave race, religion and politics out of games that adults play to entertain all of us 🍻

edited February 10, 2019 2:51PM

@perkdog said:
    It will be a great day when we can leave race, religion and politics out of games that adults play to entertain all of us 🍻

It would be just as cool if we dropped politics, race and religion out of the sports forum altogether

m