Home Sports Talk

Frank Robinson RIP

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseballs first black manager and legendary under rated slugger passed away

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news.....sorry to hear!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this. I didn't know he was ill. I was fortunate over the years to be able to meet him and speak with him a few times. A great player.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great player and class act. He will be missed.

RIP

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great competitor and Orioles were the enemy.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, he was one of the great ones !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

The only player in history to win the MVP in both leagues.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Mr. Robinson.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

looking over his career numbers last night and it appears he was a very unselfish player. Unless there is something I dont know about, it seems that when he was a player/manager for his last two years he could have penciled himself into the lineup more often than he did and achieved some rather lofty levels. he ended up 14 HR shy of 600 and 57 hits shy of 3000. I think he could have easily reached those pinnacles had he pulled a pete rose and inserted himself into the lineup every night.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

heard about this earlier today, another great player with some great memories is gone. i was fortunate to see him play for the Indians in at the end of his career and he chose to manage most of the time. he played on some amazing Teams.

Frank Robinson is a reminder to me about how flawed the HOF voting is and how bigoted the era was when he played. what else explains his non-unanimous election??

@keets said:
    heard about this earlier today, another great player with some great memories is gone. i was fortunate to see him play for the Indians in at the end of his career and he chose to manage most of the time. he played on some amazing Teams.

Frank Robinson is a reminder to me about how flawed the HOF voting is and how bigoted the era was when he played. what else explains his non-unanimous election??

He gets in on the first ballot and he was the first black manager, a true pioneer..........and you have to bring that up?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget first to be MVP in both leagues and seventh on the all-time HR list! :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

And to think that the Reds GM said he was washed up, so they traded him to the Orioles. All he did was win another MVP and lead the O's for the nest several years. RIP Frank Robinson!

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

He gets in on the first ballot and he was the first black manager, a true pioneer..........and you have to bring that up

why, do you prefer to hide from the Truth??

@keets said:
    He gets in on the first ballot and he was the first black manager, a true pioneer..........and you have to bring that up

why, do you prefer to hide from the Truth??

I think we all know that racism exists. I think in this thread, we could give it a rest.

I would say, if we MUST talk about it, that Frank was a leader in the fight for blacks getting treated equally and not point out the negative.

R.I.P. to a truly great player, without regard to race. He was one of the best ever.

I can agree with that, but to politely ignore "Institutional Racism" which took place 50+ years after the "barrier" was crossed with players, 30+ years after it was crossed by Frank Robinson as a Manager and between the two with the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment(not to mention its continuation to this day) isn't something you'll find me doing. I am not sorry if it makes you uncomfortable or rubs you the wrong way.

Frank Robinson had many hurdles to overcome in his life and he seemed to do so tactfully and without fanfare. being a lifelong Cleveland area resident I remember well when he was with the Team. it wasn't all hugs and kisses, though, there was a certain amount of derision directed towards him, as though he wasn't deserving and only got the position because of his color. believe it or not, that affected the HOF voting and persists with America to this day.

@keets said:

I am not sorry if it makes you uncomfortable or rubs you the wrong way.

Thought it would be nice if we could just say goodby and Rest in Peace without it, that's all.

We BOTH have a right to our opinions. I agree with what you say, but didn't seem like the time/place.

RIP Frank Robinson

RIP Frank Robinson.