Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone know what is the weight tolerance for the Canadian 1 ounce gold maple leaf?

I have a gold maple leaf which weighs 31.22 grams. A troy ounce is 31.103 grams. Is 31.22 grams within the Mint's tolerance level, or not?

Thanks in advance for the help.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my area, but i did some googling for you and here's what i saw being discussed in the past on kitko forums:

There is a normal weight variation among coins due to manufacturing tolerances but they should always be overweight. For CMLs that are .999 they need to have an additional .1% to bring the minimum up from 31.10 to 31.13. The older ones I've tested all tend to be very close to 31.19.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is a .9999

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is your scale accurate to that level of measurement?

• Options

Boosibri, you make a good point. I just recalibrated the scale, it measures to .01 grams. Other than recalibration, I have no way to know if the scale is that accurate (i.e., it registers to .01 grams, but it could show the wrong weight).

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, I hope it's real !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weigh something with your scale of a known weight!

@RichieURich said:
    Boosibri, you make a good point. I just recalibrated the scale, it measures to .01 grams. Other than recalibration, I have no way to know if the scale is that accurate (i.e., it registers to .01 grams, but it could show the wrong weight).

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:
    Good luck, I hope it's real !!! :)

If it's one of the recent ones, it should be pretty obvious if it's a fake as RCM implemented a ton of anti-counterfeiting measures.

• Options

I believe it is genuine. Thank all of you for your help!